Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
boat seats for rough water - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2000, 06:14 PM
Minnow

Default boat seats for rough water

I just got back from a trip up to Leech Lake in Minnesota and I had a chance to think about something. I met a guy, with a boat like mine, who had these seats made for handling rough water. The kind that help keep your spine intact.... I've abused my wife a few times with the boat and jolted my own spine on many occasions. My problem is that I can't remember who made these seats and support pedestal. It is not the Glyde-ride. They have an adjustment handle(s) for height..etc and a big turn nob for impact tension. Has anyone else come across any air ride or support seats for rough water handling? Short of tracking the guy down I was hoping someone else could help...? Thanks if anyone can. I really liked these seats and internet searches have yielded nothing.

Bob Birchell
Old 06-19-2000, 06:23 PM
Minnow

Default RE: boat seats for rough water

Recently, one of our maintenance men at the plant retrofitted a tractor we use for mowing the property with a seat that is patterned after a truck drivers seat. It has arms that wrap around you, has about 8" of vertical travel, and has a knob on the back that you can dial in your weight. Any shock is taken up by a spring / shock system. I think we paid about $130.00 for the seat, and I am going to take some time one of these days to adapt one of them to my boat. It is about the same size physically as a good boat seat. Maybe we need to look at the technology that the truckdrivers already use.
Tight lines and good fishin!
Reelaxation
Old 06-19-2000, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Most likely glyde-rides. Check the accessories under the classified section of this web site. There used to a link.

For those of use less fortunate, it in important to lean forward as much as possible. This will move the force from the spine to the lower back muscles. This is alot less painful. Also be aware not to sit in such a way that your head will slam into anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2000, 08:43 PM
Wallhanger

The seats you saw were most likely Grammer Ultra Ride seats. You can see this seat at www.up-north.com/grammer. I picked up one of these early this season and love it. I've done the spinal compression thing once or twice and I like being able to feel my toes w/o a tingling sensation. I figure if I hold out long enough my tournament partner will spring for the passenger seat! As it is now, I'm quite comfortable.

Best Regards,

FJH
Old 06-20-2000, 06:39 AM
EO

I've been using the Glyde Rydes this year...
WOW. I have a 12" stainless rod in my back and 14 fused vertebrae, and I fish the MWC circuit. These seats have saved me and my partner several days and hours of fishing time. Any seat that will absorb shock will help but the money spent on these seats is worth every penny!!!
I prefer the "Rydes" because of its ability to adapt to the boat and the adjustments I can make.
about $350 ea.
After Bay de Noc this weekend... money well spent!!!
Tight Lines!
Old 06-20-2000, 06:48 AM
Juls_WI

Bay de Noc was brutal this past weekend...especially Sunday. I think I'm two inches shorter after that ride..;-)

Juls
Old 06-20-2000, 06:49 AM
EYESON

THE ONES YOU DESCRIBE SOUND LIKE AIR RIDE PEDESTALS. THEY HAVE A ADJUSTMENT HANDLE FOR HEIGHT AND A SIDE HANDLE TO LOCK THEMFOR RUNNING. MOST BOAT DEALERS CAN GET THEM FOR YOU THE ONES FOR THE TAPER LOCK BASES THAT ARE IN LUNDS RUN ANY WHERE FROM 70.00 - 100.00 DEPENDING ON YOUR DEALER
Old 06-20-2000, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

The Ultra Ride and Glyde Ride seats are completely different from a standard air-ride pedistal. Take a look at www.up-north.com/grammer. Ultra Ride and Glyde Ride look very similar.

Best Regards,

FJH
Old 06-20-2000, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Another thought -- if you don't want to spend $350. Although that is not much money if you start doing back surgery.
Check out Northern -- farm supply store, or fleet farm. Many stores of this nature carry hydralic, air shock, seats that may be mounted in Tractors or trucks. Often, the Platform is available without any of the seats. The typical boat seat can be adapted to many of these mounts with little problem. check around, and you may find that these are available for as little as $150.

Take care

REW
Old 06-20-2000, 02:22 PM
Minnow

I'll check that out REW. Thanks. I've been searching the web for more info and I found two other sites of interest. One is seatsinc.com which has a suspension seat that looks pretty good. I also found the "mariner" marine suspension seat at bentleysmfg.com which has a base that looks just like the one that guy had except the seat is different. I don't care about the seat itself since I would like to use the current matching seats I have. I am more interested in the suspension base. I'm waiting for pricing information from the other two companies. I'll post the info once I have it for others interested as well. So far they all look good. Price, quality and durability will make the final decision. Well, that and the wife...heh heh.

rmblam