Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Evinrude & Mercury Battle! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 10-06-2004, 05:20 AM
seahorse

Default RE: Evinrude & Mercury Battle!

>E-Tec is going on my next boat, or my 4 stroke is coming
off.>

You would be a lot happier if you did both. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Rick Mc Coll

No questions..........It is going to be a good battle.

I will stick with Evinrude E-Tec technology. If the 2002-2004 Evinrude fuel injected is running better than ever, I will not hesitate to buy an Evinrude E-Tec outboard.
Evinrude is winnig lots of fishing tournaments (like never before)

Rick
Old 10-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Red Green

Does this mean that Brunswick will be crying to the Feds again? Just wondering?:(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Red Green

Does this mean that Brunswick will be crying to the Feds again? Just wondering?:(
Old 10-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

>Evinrude is winnig lots of fishing tournaments

That's [b]AMAZING![/b] :( My Johnson has never caught a single fish.

Hans/MN
--
"Walk softly and carry a big fish."
Old 10-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Rick Mc Coll

Not a single fish?
Are you fishing in your hot tub?? Just a joke!

Happy boating!

Rick
Old 10-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Warrior1

Let me first say that this is not intneded to slam anyone, just some thoughts.

It is a little humorous to read and listen to complaints from folks about the new engines and technology, specifically the costs associated with them. The people complaining are often the ones with the bigger engines ie: 200, 225 and etc. I'd venture to guess that if you own one of these, money is not a major concern, you can probably afford it. Most are probably not pros either, so they don't depend on their $35,000 boats to pay the bills.

Whenever I complain I just think back to about eight years ago. I fished a few tournaments and I fished out of a 16 foot boat with a 50 hp motor. Now I fish out of a 21 ft boat with a 250 EFI. The bigger boat makes my wallet lighter, my ego fatter but I don't catch anymore fish, I just look better when I lose. It was a personal choice to buy bigger, not a need, I have to live with the downsides of my choice.

My opinion is if you can afford it and it makes you happy to buy the biggest and best, do it, life is short, just don't complain about it when you do.

As far as Merc vs Evinrude, both have great engines. I love the performance of my 250 EFI but it drinks a lot of gas/oil and smokes and pollutes the water and air. Both of these companies are doing a lot to improve that, kudos to them. Afterall, our main concern as fisherman and outdoorsman should be to protect what we love to enjoy for ourselves and our kids. I can't wait to hang a 250hp fuel/emission efficient motor of whatever brand on my boat, even if it costs a little more. And if I can't afford it, I'll go a little smaller and I'm sure I'll be just as happy when I catch my limit with my son.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Rick Mc Coll

Warrior1:
Great analysis.
I also think that the most important issue is the environment.

I like to congratulate Evinrude. They have the technology for us 2 stroke lovers. The E-Tec engines have better emissions than any 4 strokes out there!

Good luck and happy boating!

PS:The new Evinrude E-TEC two-stroke engines are rated to meet the toughest new exhaust emissions standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency and the State of California.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Wink Wink

As long as Merc is owned by Brunswick, they won't have to.
Does Bombardier own any hulls?
Even today, Bombardier does not have a lock on very many boat lines where they can hang their engines with long term certainty. Unless Bombardier begins purchasing boat companies, they will have even fewer boat brands on which to hang engines in a year or two.
WARNING: Bruswick does not purchase boat companies in order to help Bombardier, or Japanese companies sell more engines. With all the wheeling and dealing in the boat building industry recently, Bombardier ended up in a weak position for future growth.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Wink Wink

As long as Merc is owned by Brunswick, they won't have to.
Does Bombardier own any hulls?
Even today, Bombardier does not have a lock on very many boat lines where they can hang their engines with long term certainty. Unless Bombardier begins purchasing boat companies, they will have even fewer boat brands on which to hang engines in a year or two.
WARNING: Bruswick does not purchase boat companies in order to help Bombardier, or Japanese companies sell more engines. With all the wheeling and dealing in the boat building industry recently, Bombardier ended up in a weak position for future growth.