Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HDS7Gen2 or HDS8, for same money? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
HAJ

Default HDS7Gen2 or HDS8, for same money?

Through various close-out promotions/rebate I can get my price on a Lowrance HDS 8 with base map down to a smokin hot deal of just over $1000, or I can put the same money toward a HDS 7 Gen2. My budget does not allow more than that.

So my question is simple, for the same money would you go with the larger screen of the slower original HDS 8, or the faster processor but smaller screen of the HDS7 Gen2? I do not have experience with any first generation HDS unit, so I have no idea how the new faster processor would rank compared to the benefit of a larger screen. I am leaning toward the deal on the larger screen HDS 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Wallhanger

I would go with the HDS8 and the bigger screen.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrand View Post
I would go with the HDS8 and the bigger screen.

A BIG "+1" here on the HDS8!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Minnow

Default Gen1 vs Gen 2

Ihave not seen the gen2 in action but from what I understand is that if you do not get LSS the only dif is the speed. I have a 5 and a 7 gen1 and I would go with the gen1 HDS 8 for the same $.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

I can't figure what a Gen 2 can do any faster in the real world. I love my 8 in screen with the extra controls and would never go smaller. Either way you'll be happy. Remember, how they measure 7 & 8 is different on those two, the 8 is lots bigger.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Wallhanger

From talking to the dealer the Gen2 is much better/faster than the HDS. He is concerned he won't be able to sell the remaining HDS's he has in stock because the he has the GEN2's out and it's not much of a comparison between the two.

I was thinking of going HBird, but have to admit, the HDS Gen2 was very impressive.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
I can't figure what a Gen 2 can do any faster in the real world. I love my 8 in screen with the extra controls and would never go smaller. Either way you'll be happy. Remember, how they measure 7 & 8 is different on those two, the 8 is lots bigger.
Use one..you'll see.

I watched them side by side at the store. It was noticibly faster. I don't own either, so I was purly a bystander. I was impressed enough to start the wheels turning.

I'm not sure I'd trade up to get one if I had an HDS already, but starting off new....it's a no brainer on which one to get.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

OK. Here's my 2 cents. The Gen 2 speed is impressive but I think the most impressive thing is the mating up of the downscan and the contours. If you don't have the LSS-1 then the most impress feature is unavailable to you so the best going deal is the HDS-8 for under a $1000.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

While the Gen 2 is faster, the bigger screen and the soft keys would make me choose the hds 8 hands down!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Minnow

Default Hds 8

The only time speed matters is when powering up, and changing screens. This accounts for 1-5% percent of the time that you are using the unit. You will actually look at the unit 80-90% of the time. Therefore, I would favor the unit that is easier to see. I will wait the 2 second delay with the HDS 8 and enjoy the large screen all day!!