Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes?

Funny you mention the intermediate steering shaft...my '05 is on the 3rd on at 60K. First one under warranty, the rest GM paid partial. It's interesting as just tonight I notices a slight knock in my steering column....by my estimation and experience....that means I am about 4,000 miles from shaft #4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
steelersfan ul

>Funny you mention the intermediate steering shaft...my '05 is
>on the 3rd on at 60K. First one under warranty, the rest GM
>paid partial. It's interesting as just tonight I notices a
>slight knock in my steering column....by my estimation and
>experience....that means I am about 4,000 miles from shaft
>#4.
>
>

man, I'd be stirring it up if they made me pay for another. If the orginial didn't work and the first replacement didn't work, you'd think they would know something was up.

GMC John had a good post on this awhile back and he posted the site for the actual TSB re: this. I printed it out. Can't find it now. They have gone through several iterations on this but it sounds like they still haven't gotten it right.

Another question re: the rotors on the Chevys, are they floating rotors or the pain in the butt ones since I have the 4wd?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

oh they know something is up...that's why they are on their 3rd interation of the intermediate shaft. The problem is that they issues the TSB...which these days are issued INSTEAD of a recall. I think that the only time there is a recall is when it can lead to a catastrophic failure resulting in injury. I think that the intermediate shaft is annoying, but it isn't going to break. By the way, the dealership really thought that GM was doing me a favor by picking up some of the cost after it was out of warranty. Gee thanks. The mechanic said (quote) "we have a pile of those shafts sitting in the back of the garage".

As far as the rotors on the front...they are just like any other rotor that I have changed, and mine is a 4 wheel. Tire off, brake caliper off, and a few taps with a mallet and you are good. I do see that they make vented aftermarkets for them. Those might be the ticket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Minnow

2 shafts on my 2004 gmc and its bad again still fighting to get them to change it. just got back fron dealer. changed my fourth battery in less then 4 years. they said batteries were all bad.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Keeper

YAh tell me about it, the steering shaft in my 06 silverado is knocking worse than a drunk in a jail cell. I called gm on it and they issued a TSB, which is some BS service bulletin that basically says since my vehichle is out of warranty i am SOL. only cost a few hundred to fix. Since it wasn't a safety concern they did not isuue a recall. So not only are they fine screwing people i have found out the first few revisions of the fix dont work and end up happening again. So chevy knows they have a problem, they issue another problem to fix their mistake and all to the customers cost. sounds like a good Ford commercial to me...
Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
SNOPRO

I've got a 2004 Chev. 1500 Z71 crewcab with 60k and pull a 1775 ProV and am looking at front pads this spring. Rear pads look new.I've always had trailer brakes on my trailers for safety and I think they save wear on the truck brakes.They're a good investment. As far as the warped front rotors, I rotate my own tires because I've had too many rotors on my other 1500 trucks and my wifes cars warped from tire stores removing wheels to fix a flat, rotating tires or installing new tires and hammering on the lug nuts with a impact wrench.Some use thos "torque sticks on the impacts, but I don't have much faith in their accuacy. The rotors on GM cars and trucks for about the last 20 years seem to warp easily if you don't torque them evenly and to factory specs.I start at 80 lbs and do the star pattern and go back around increasing the torque up 20 lbs each time till I reach the rated torque. It takes a little extra time but since I'm the only one to remove and reinstall the wheels on our vehicles I've yet to have any more warped rotors! My Chev. dealer just replaced my intermediate shaft at 60k for free. Third one!!! He said this new and improved one has a nylon sleeve which should take care of the sticking problem. Time will tell.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Keeper

I had the steering column shaft repaired at about 26000 miles. & the front rotors turned too. Along with lots of other things. I am also making another appointment to get them to fix the windshield. Sounds like I'm hitting bugs all the time. I know this is a GM issue for quite a while too. Other than that all else is well.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
steelersfan ul

>I had the steering column shaft repaired at about 26000
>miles. & the front rotors turned too. Along with lots of
>other things. I am also making another appointment to get
>them to fix the windshield. Sounds like I'm hitting bugs all
>the time. I know this is a GM issue for quite a while too.
>Other than that all else is well.

Did you install a bug shield or something else up front that disrupted the air flow? I had the same problem after installing a bug shield on my truck shortly after purchasing it. The weather stripping on the sides and corners will flap and cause the noise when the air flow is disrupted. I fixed it with a little clear silicone just under the flap on the weatherstripping on the sides of the window. Haven't heard the noise since. I would imagine even without the bug shield, if you are traveling in gusty winds, you could have the same problem.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
steelersfan ul

>I had the steering column shaft repaired at about 26000
>miles. & the front rotors turned too. Along with lots of
>other things. I am also making another appointment to get
>them to fix the windshield. Sounds like I'm hitting bugs all
>the time. I know this is a GM issue for quite a while too.
>Other than that all else is well.

Did you install a bug shield or something else up front that disrupted the air flow? I had the same problem after installing a bug shield on my truck shortly after purchasing it. The weather stripping on the sides and corners will flap and cause the noise when the air flow is disrupted. I fixed it with a little clear silicone just under the flap on the weatherstripping on the sides of the window. Haven't heard the noise since. I would imagine even without the bug shield, if you are traveling in gusty winds, you could have the same problem.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

The only noise that I hear is the sheet metal on the roof of the cab flexing in the wind from time to time. Is mine the only truck that does this?