Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ball mount rattle - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Wallhanger

On most trailers you can adjust the underneath lever that locks the trailer on to the ball. There is a nut underneath that your tighten up. That way when you push down on the top lever it locks the ball tighter. If you tighten it up to much you would not be able to lock the top lever down. I would bet that is your problem. The other issue you could have is if the holes on your truck have worn out. The ones that the hitch pin goes into. That would also cause a rattle. Some trailers also have pins for the removable hitch that could wear the holes out also. I had that happen on a bear trailer with a removable hitch. The holes ended up being oblong instead of round. I welded on it to fill in the gaps and make the pin hole round again.

Last edited by Snowking; 10-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I certainly like the "quiet hitch". It looks like the perfect product for that noisy hitch.

Be safe
Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Wallhanger

Lift up the draw bar and put a nickel between it and the receiver. It will stay there all summer long. I also added a anti rattle hitch pin and lock. I still have a little noise due to the uni-body construction of my vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Wallhanger

MarkG hit the nail on the head. Proper height and level will most likely reduce your noise to a minimum. A good hitch doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

As you said only at stops and starts, any chance it's just the normal noise associated with a surge brake?

Boat Nut
Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

If you have the standard hitch pin that slides through try taping it up to make a tight fit on it. The slop in that will cause some noise. If you are getting a loud bang, then height and level of the trailer is most likely the culprit. Or you just have a cheap hitch that does not fit your receiver very well. Either way it is trial and error.

I will say a properly leveled trailer is much easier to tow than one that is not.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Wallhanger

The trailer sits almost level (1/2" drop from back to front) at first glance it looks almost level and both hitch and draw bar are made by "Hidden Hitch". The ball is tight on the coupler. I think the problem is the draw bar has too much clearance in the receiver. I have a "cushion type" draw bar from Cabelas i will try in the spring (boat is in storage now). I will let you guys know if it works !
Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
The trailer sits almost level (1/2" drop from back to front) at first glance it looks almost level and both hitch and draw bar are made by "Hidden Hitch". The ball is tight on the coupler. I think the problem is the draw bar has too much clearance in the receiver. I have a "cushion type" draw bar from Cabelas i will try in the spring (boat is in storage now). I will let you guys know if it works !
I have a hidden hitch as well, had some noise at start and stops. Got the rubber dampened hitch, worked well till the pin that holds the rubber shim in place rusted.

Then I got this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BW-To...&WTz_l=Unknown

Best hitch in the world, at least my world. Adjustable, fits in the receiver tight and no noise.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

I had the same problem once. Dam rec would rattle and make a bunch of noise. Then one day it popped in my head that the hitch pin was the smaller diaper pin instead of the bigger one. I pulled into a Walmart and bought the bigger one and it solved my problem.

I would assume you probably are not having a brain fart like I did haha.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
Thats cool!
that was cool. you might try a different draw bar and see if that helps. but I just live with it.

got any idea's how to remove a draw bar that's rusted to the hitch. I hadn't removed my draw bar from my old motor home hitch in like forever. then we needed to remove it and it wouldn't budge. we tried rust buster and a 4# sledge and it didn't move. if you have any suggestions please PM me as to not get this thread side tracked.