Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Sonar only unit - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Minnow

Default Best Sonar only unit

Hello, I currently run a Lowrance 522c I like the gps, sometimes I lose bottom but I just updated the software from 1.5 to 2.5 so I hope that takes care of it.

What it WILL NOT DO, is find fish. It does not show fish ever, period. I have played with the sensitivity, I have adjusted the transducer etc and no dice. I have sat in water loaded with walleye, and not a single mark shows on the graph.

I am looking for a good sonar only unit to run alongside it. Not looking to go too wild with $$$, but I want to see arches ! Any good to excellent choices for sonar only? I will consider DI, HD, etc also.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

Ive got about 5 sonar and sonar/GPS units, and the 2 best for marking fish are the 958cHD DI which is pricey I know about 1100 but is EXCELLENT, i have a 998 and it beats it hands down. The other GREAT unit is my 596HD which is 400ish or less, just as good as the 958 just a little smaller screen but VERY bright can see far away in bright sunight, the sonar is so sensitive its not funny, plus it has flasher mode for ice fishing that works excellent, It stays on my small boat all year except when the ice starts it goes into my humminbird flasher bag
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Keeper

vexilar edge-3!! Do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

A humminbird DI unit with stock transducer would be a bad choice. Unless you'd like to be limited to a 25 degree cone angle in 2d sonar.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

good point, forgot to mention to run the 958 thru US2 or w a Y cable if u went that route
Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Actually, I have never seen a good depth finder that did not show fish - if properly adjusted.

Remember, many of the Lowrance units have some pretty good filters on them. Surface filters and asp filters. And perhaps others.

When you set your unit up in manual, first turn off all of the filters, .
Then, turn up the sensitivity until you can track a 1/16th jig all of the way to the bottom with the rod held to allow the jig to fall directly below the transducer.

If you leave the sensitivity at this point you will see nice fish arches.

Or maybe not - but I think that there is a good chance that you will see what you need to see.

By the way, if you can't track a 1/16th jig all of the way to the bottom, no matter the sensitivity setting with the filters turned off, you may very well have a bad transducer.

Be safe
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Keeper

Best sonar only unit hands down a Lowrance HDS touch unit. I have owned and used HDS Gen1 and Gen 2 units,HB 898 si and now have a Lowrance touch unit, I thought my prior HDS units had great resolution and sonar returns, the HB unit dont even ask, the Touch unit resolution is amazing.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Keeper

I have the 858 HB XD and can mark even small jigs at 70 ft. I have ran pretty much all the makes since they used to be paper and never had an issue marking fish, I never use that fish ID as it is for someone that wants to think there is fish under the boat. It is all in the setup and not the cost of the machine.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

That's a good piece of feedback on one of the Humminbird XD models. Those are not commonly found on store shelves, and I admit to now knowing anyone who is running one. The very wide coverage of that 50 kHz beam must do wonders for seeing fish at depth.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Finder

Could it be you have a bad or improperly installed transducer?... as was said I have never seen a properley set up unit with a good transducer not show "fish arches"

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing