Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can you put 2 trans d on boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Minnow

Question Can you put 2 trans d on boat

Im instaling the lss1 and hds7. I have a 522ci on the boat it has its own transducer. I want to mount the trans for the hds 7 will that work or will they conflict with eachother?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

How close will the two transducers be to each other? If one is in the front on a BMTM and one in the back should be OK but I believe if they are both on the back of the boat you will have problems with interference but you can overcome that by networking your HDS with your 522 from what I have heard.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Keeper

If you are planning on putting them both on the back, just use the yellow ethernet cable between the 2 units. It will allow both units to use the 1 transducer and you will have no problems with interference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Keeper

I have two on my boat with no problems both are 200's and work fine not more than 3inchs apart on the back . most people said it would not work but it did guess i got lucky cuz the guys that said it wouldnt are alot smarter than me..........but thats not hard to do.........
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Flipp,
A nice way to do it is to mount one transducer on one side of the transom and mount the other transducer on the other side of the trransom.
Normally, by mounting the transducers on each side of the transom, you can select an area where each transducer can run in clean water. This is not always the case if both transducers are mounted on the same side of the boat.

Since it is possible to run the units on different frequencies, you can simply switch frequencies on one of the units, if you do get interference.

Take care
REW
Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

p.s
I am not a big fan of having a transducer mounted to a trolling motor.
Yes, if you are fishing canyons, you will have differences between the front and back of the boat. But for most lakes, the differences between the front and back of the boat- with respect to transducers seeing different things is rather mundane.

Then, if you have the transducer mounted on the back of the boat, with its cable running to the bow mounted depth finder, you will have full time depth finder readings available whether the trolling motor is in the water or not.

One of the biggest reasons that I like this setup for myself is that when I am running wide open, I always keep my eyes on the horizon, looking for navigation hazards, boats, folks in the water and other significant things to be watchful for. As a result, I seldom take my eyes off the horizon to look at my console mounted depth finder.
However, by either looking through the windshield or over the windshield, as conditions change, I can be constantly scanning the horizon as well as the bow mounted depth finder monitoring the bottom depths and potential schools of fish.
I generally run a split screen on the bow mounted depth finder with large digital depth readings on one side, so it is easy to see upcoming bottom changes, and especially if I am flying along the water and suddenly go over a large school of bait fish, or a bottom swelling hump or underwater island. Then, If I want to go back to look at the school of bait fish, or underwater hump or underwater island, I freeze my steering and maintain course, while slowing the boat. When the boat is stopped, I put the boat in reverse and follow my wake back to the point where I saw the bait fish and or underwater point of interest.

Never turn the boat in an effort to go back to find an object that you have gone over. Your chances of success at finding that particular item are very small if you turn the boat and circle. However, as long as the water is somewhat calm, you can follow your high speed wake and bubble trail back for several minutes before your water trail is lost. As you back up the boat, keep your eye on the depth finder until you see the item of interest which you passed over. Then, stop and investigate slowly and carefully, and if it warrants, fish it a bit for any sign of active fish.

Take care
REW