Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod for 3 way rig and bottom bouncing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Minnow

Default Rod for 3 way rig and bottom bouncing

I'm wondering if my St. Croix Wild River 9'6" Medium Heavy Power Fast Action 8-17 lb 3/8-11/4 oz rod and Symmetry 4000FJ reel combo would be suitable for a 3 Way and Bottom Bouncer walleye set up?

Bobby B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Wallhanger

I just bought a 7' St Croix Med Fast for bottom bouncing because I was having trouble feeling a tentative bite in the late fall.

When the bite is on after the spawn, you can bottom bounce with a pool cue and some twine.

When they are biting less aggressively, you need to be able to feel it. In my opinion, your setup will work sometimes, but not a good all-around rod & reel combo.

I am far from an expert, just my opinion.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Minnow

I suspected it wouldn't be the ideal setup. I wanted to press it into service rather than have it collect dust plus buy another rod and reel just for a bottom bouncer and a 3 way rig. What would you rate my St. Croix/Symmetre rod/reel combo out of 10 in terms of BB and 3 WR?

Bobby B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Wallhanger

It may do the trick. But that is a casting rod/reel application for me. Make sure the reel has a flipping switch and you have easy depth adjustments as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Keeper

I was introduced to Commander Rods last summer. Little Mom and Pop operation out of Alexandria, MN doing business as "Pro Fishing Outdoors. I was real impressed with them, and even more so when I saw the price. These are as good as many rods that are 2 or more times more expensive.

Last edited by Walleye507; 05-07-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Minnow

I bought a St. Croix Bounce n' Troll two seasons ago, and I like it better than anything I've used so far!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I'm wondering if my St. Croix Wild River 9'6" Medium Heavy Power Fast Action 8-17 lb 3/8-11/4 oz rod and Symmetry 4000FJ reel combo would be suitable for a 3 Way and Bottom Bouncer walleye set up?

Bobby B.
Though that 9'6" Wild River may not be a stereotypical bottom bouncer rod, it wouldn't necessarily be wrong either. Much of that would depend on the style of bouncing you do. If you're a solo fisherman that's going to be holding the rod at all times waiting for a pickup to feed them line, the rod would be a little on the long/heavy side. You won't pick up the subtleties as you would with a shorter rod. However, there are many fishermen that will run multiple rods in the boat for multiple fishermen and just throw them in the rod holders and go; in this case the 9'6" length would make it very advantageous getting a good spread on the setup for an outside pole.

As 97roughneck said, it isn't the perfect all around BB rod, but you could make the argument that no rod really is. Judging from what you've said so far, I think you would likely be more happy with a shorter more sensitive rod since it doesn't sound like you're running a big operation, but the Wild River 9'6" will certainly get the job done and you already own it. If I were you I'd give it a run and see how it works for you with your particular style. If you hate it, you can always look into something else.

Also, sensitivity can be overrated when talking bottom bouncing. With the large drag from a bouncer or 3 way, much of your ability to feel light bites is gone. Most of the time you don't know there is a fish there until he is already hooked. In my opinion it is better to have a softer tip than sensitive rod so there is less 'sharp resistance' when the walleye picks up the bait. Just my opinion.

Hope that information helps!
-Aaron R - SBT
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

Might be a bit on the big side for what I like to use. However I would try it and see what you think. It might just work you and its paid for already. Nothing to loose. \

Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

Remember that with 3-way or BB you will snag. Less often, but it will happen.

If this rod is going to be held by a rod holder, get something tough like fiberglass or at least a composite. Cheap downrigger rods are tough. The sound of high-tech graphite cracking as you are trying to stop your boat isn't pleasant. If you are going to hand-hold the rod, you can live with a more sensitive, more multipurpose rod.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Keeper

I typically use my bass crankbait rods. I was always told you want something to have some give so it doesnt rip the hooks out, same concept alot of the bass guys go for with casting crankbaits. But thats just what I like to use there is no real rhyme or reason. Your rod would work just fine. First time I ever used bottom bouncers I used my medium heavy 7 foot bass rod cause I didnt know any better but I still caught fish.