Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
wabaskang fishing reports - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Big Mikey

Default Wabaskang Reports

Just returned from Jim and Julies. Fishing was pretty good, weather was tough! We caught some really big walleyes, 30, 29, and 3 in the 27s, all from cabbage weeds on big jerkbaits. Most of our walleyes were caught while casting in the late evening, but we did manage a few of the big ones during the day hours when it was cloudy/raining...which was basically all day wed/thurs! We caugh a good number of keeper walleyes down in Keynote along the weedlines and also up in the big lake on the traditional late summer spots including: Devils, Doe, Birch, and the big weedbed along the north shore.
Northern fishing was tough for the real big fish. Our biggest was 39, with a ton of 34 and 35s to go along with it. Our best tactic was casting jerkbaits on deep weed edges, but open water trolling deep running shad raps and other divers was very effective also. Thurs in the rain we pounded the 25 to 30 inchers in the shallower weedbeds that were wind blown. Finally, we also caught some 35s along the windblown rock ledges in Jim's part of the lake and up in McCloud and Aerobus.
All in all a fantastic walleye trip with a few decent norhern thrown in to make if interesting...can't wait to get back up in a few weeks as the bigger schools of walleyes should be transitioned out to the deep structure and hopefully the big pike will start to return to the deep weeds to feed.
Any other reports???

Anyone know or hear who is putting up the huge cabin across from Peffley's? It looks like a nice place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Minnow

I usually have good success at the first narrows early morn and late evening but I haven't been up since May and wouldn't mind a recent report either.

I will be there also at the end of july I'm staying with Kingfisher, maybe see ya out there lol
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Minnow

Returned sat. from our trip to Kingfisher. Good trip overall, weather didn't cooperate very well, but didn't keep us from fishing everyday. Talked to several regulars and they fishing was slow to average at best for that particular week. So being my first time on the lake we struggled a little bit to find a consistant bite. Fished alot on the big lake, did ok at times on the 18-20 ft. flats. and on various dropoffs in the 12-15 ft range. Chartrouse crawler harnesses and silver spinners w/minnow seemed to work best. Looking back probably should have given more time to jigs and minnows. Didn't do very well on northerns, apparently wasn't in right weed beds. We tried all of the usual northern baits. Did catch a 39" while walleye fishing, was the highlite fo the trip for big fish. Biggest walleye was 23.5". Caught around 70 walleye for the week, counting big and dink, so we ate well and brought our fish home. Learned alot about the lake so i'm sure well do better the next time. The resort was nice and the people very friendly, everybody in the family decided we would not hesitate to return. Mike I did talk to some of the guys in your group on the water, sounded like you all were haveing a good week, thanks for you reports. Curious to hear any other reports the next few weeks.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Minnow

Just returned home from Wabaskang Lake. Celebrated my Dad's 70th birthday while there. My Dad's first trip to Wabaskang Lake was in 1970. My brother joined Dad and I on this trip. Had a great time.

We are walleye fishermen and did quite well but worked hard to get them. Fish were scattered and it seemed were not in the typical pattern we are used to but later in the week they were moving deeper. It seemed the walleyes were still relating to weedlines early in the week and not yet to deeper water structure. I think the recent cooler wet weather, late ice out, and higher than normal water level had something to do with that.

We caught fish in some of the same places we did in the 70's and 80's! Many great memories for Dad, brother and I.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM
CraigCC

Default Anything new from Wabaskang

Looking for any new information on fishing at Wabby...anyone come back lately?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Minnow

Default 8-9 to 8-16 report

Just returned and had a great trip that august usually produces. Walleyes were the trip saver as they were plentiful and easy to catch on many different techniques. We did most of our damage with light jigs in green cabbage. Hoards of fish are still in the weeds and were fun to catch by simply pitching a jig and minnow into the pockets along these weed edges. Others were using Linda rigs and also bottom bouncers along the edges and doing well. Some bigger 26 inch plus size fish starting to appear on the reefs in 20 to 28 feet, look for that to really get good this coming week. Evening bite for big walleyes was very good also as we had a 31 inch fish and many 25 inch plus caught right at sunset on big jerk baits in the weeds. Man I love the feel of a big walleye crushing a suspended husky jerk! Northern fishing was a little tougher this week as we noticed a lot less fish in the weeds and started to get most of them trolling deep water. Did good in the evenings casting weeds as the big ones must come back in for a short feeding window. We only had clouds for one day so that didn't help either. Can't wait to go back next week as the temps are going to fall and the pigs will come back to the weeds where we will throw jerk baits and big rubber at em all day! Next week will be walleye time on the deep reefs too..report when I return! Mike