Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ALUMACRAFT Warranty - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Keeper

Default ALUMACRAFT Warranty

they guys I bought a new Voyaguer sport a month ago. I took it to a dealer that I did not buy the boat from for service. I keep getting a gas smell in the front storage compartments. They called today and told me they could not find anything wrong with the tank or lines. They then told me my bill was $42.50 for labor. Now I have never took a new boat in for service but I have a new car which would have cost me $0. By the way the boat was more than the car LOL. My feeling is it should be covered under the warranty but am I wrong?
Matt
Ultrex 112 Link
Helix 10SI Mega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Wallhanger

What does your warranty say it covers?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Many boats have a fuel smell in the front bow storage without having any issues to cause it. You took it to a dealer that did not sell you the boat. Are they supposed to work for free?

Sorry for being straight forward but mechanics in both the car and boat industry get paid for the hours the job pays and not the hours in the day. Hence if a job pays 3 hours and I can finish it in 2 I am making money. Both industries apply.

Sorry for the straight forwardness but it's how it works.
Helix 5

It's all fun and games till someone loses a walleye!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Keeper

Okay i understand what ur saying but the gas smell is strong enough I could smell it on my tackle bag when I took it out of the storage compartment. That is why it went to the dealer. I can take my truck to any Totyota dealer and they can do warranty work on it and get paid by Toyota so why should Alumacraft dealers be any different?
Ultrex 112 Link
Helix 10SI Mega
Old 07-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Hmmm....

I agree with the original poster. If you buy a new product, in this case a boat, and you have a issue with it under warranty (and I would think a gas smell in the forward compartment would be included under warranty issue), no matter what "dealer" of that manufacturers product you bring it to, work should be paid under warranty.

It is good business to do so...to think otherwise is not in the best interest of the dealer or the company for which he provides services for.
"The Athlete's Sports Experience"
Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Wallhanger

I guess my point is first off like I mentioned many boats have a bad fuel smell up front. I have a 2001 Lund and my girl friend is always saying after she opens the front storage that is smells like gas. There are many threads on this subject here on WC.

I think if we enclosed the fuel cells on our trucks with a compartment witch is has access to storage near it we would smell fuel just like our boats.

A fuel smell would not be under a car manufacturers warranty and a n/c item to diagnosis unless they discover the cause.

20+ years in the dealerships are my experience. Now that said I have not been in a boat dealership but T-Mac has and I am hoping he can chime in regarding this as he is a former boat dealer now retired.
Helix 5

It's all fun and games till someone loses a walleye!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Keeper

I understand what u saying off the hook but u r comparing my 2014 to a 2001. I owned a 2013 Alumacraft Competitor 165 and it didn't have any gas smell in any of the compartments. I posted this problem on here and the replies were take it to the dealer. I don't care about the $42y concern is if I do have to go back again. IThe only reason it went to the he dealer was the thought of my wife and son in the boat and a spark causing a big boom.
Ultrex 112 Link
Helix 10SI Mega
Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I know it's your brand new boat, but would you be willing to pull the floor panel off over the tank and inspect everything yourself? From the pictures I've looked at, the only tank vent I see is in the starboard/aft corner, nothing forward at all.

If you're not comfortable pulling the panel, where are you located? Maybe we've got a member nearby that can help? Otherwise, maybe a trip to the factory, and let them look at it?

HRG
Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Wallhanger

Since it was NOT a warranty issue, why do you think they (Alumacraft) should have covered the cost. Remember, it's Alumacraft sending the money to the dealer for warranty work. No warranty problem...no Payment. Now, if you take it to another deal (let's say the one you bought it from) and he says there is a warranty issue and they fix it ..... no charge to you, then I'd go back to the first repair shop and ask for my $45 back....because he missed diagnosed.

That repair shop owes you nothing from a customer loyalty perspective...you didn't buy from him...s.o.l.

Marty

jmho....after a few crowns
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Keeper

I did pull the center section of the floor out and tried to tighten any clamp I could find. I found nothing that would leave me to think it was where the problem was coming from. I didn't want to go take apart the entire back of my new boat trying to find out where the problem was. I thought that was why I bought a new boat so if I did have any problems I could take it to a dealer and have it fixed. I really think the tank needed to be pressure tested and I do not have the setup for that. It really makes me wonder if I was charged just for labor and it was only $42 DID THEY DO THAT? I asked and they said they did but after I got off the phone with the service guy I called back and the girl said they didn't find any gas smell in the storage compartments nothing about them pressure testing the tank.
Thank you very much for the offer of help!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I know it's your brand new boat, but would you be willing to pull the floor panel off over the tank and inspect everything yourself? From the pictures I've looked at, the only tank vent I see is in the starboard/aft corner, nothing forward at all.

If you're not comfortable pulling the panel, where are you located? Maybe we've got a member nearby that can help? Otherwise, maybe a trip to the factory, and let them look at it?

HRG
Ultrex 112 Link
Helix 10SI Mega