Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trying to decide on new boat (Ranger or...) - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I'm coming off two aluminum boats with no regrets but have been thinking about giving glass a try. Again, I know they're a nicer ride, but are they 5-10K better?
IMHO, yes. I wish I had gone to glass 30 years ago.
Quote:
The price difference you are seeing on used boats is, in my opinion, that glass boats hold their value a little better.
They seem to. They don't get tired of flexing in heavy seas and start weeping around the rivets. Any battle scars can rather easily be repaired as good as new.

I would be leery of backtrolling my 1860 in 3'ers, but I agree with BW, if you mainly backtroll, you should be in a tiller.

Last edited by Esoxchaser; 03-26-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxchaser View Post
IMHO, yes. I wish I had gone to glass 30 years ago.
They seem to. They don't get tired of flexing in heavy seas and start weeping around the rivets. Any battle scars can rather easily be repaired as good as new.

I would be leery of backtrolling my 1860 in 3'ers, but I agree with BW, if you mainly backtroll, you should be in a tiller.

Having the ability to backtroll in heavy wind adds a great deal of versatility to a fishing boat. I realize that many folks don't fish in areas where it is necessary and it really isn't a factor at all in their boat decision. If you do live in windy country and want to structure fish in open water, backtrolling is the most effective way to go about it. When it comes to a versatile backtrolling boat that still offers a windshield and steering wheel, you need a boat that is fairly light in the rear, best not to have a kicker. A 18' or 19' Pro V with splashguards and the 2.5 liter opti or similar weight motor (no kicker) is a very effective backtroller and can hang with any tiller rig in big waves. Others may be comparable (Alumacraft?) but I have no experience with them in these conditions.

There are plenty of good reasons to own a wheel boat that you can backtroll effectively with.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Backwards

With the power and finesse of todays bow mount trolling motors, why would you backtroll?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards View Post
With the power and finesse of todays bow mount trolling motors, why would you backtroll?
Because he's old school and doesn't know any better.

My dad just ordered a new boat and absolutely will not put a bow mount on. He picked up a 2009 Lund Pro Guide (Tiller) with a 75 4-stroke on the back. He insisted on putting a Vantage on the back for back trolling. So I've been enjoying showing him what's up with my big boat and bow mount control.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll take you fishing out here in the plains some day.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Because it is easier to control a boat that way when the wind gets cranked up.
Put a drift sock on a short leash off the bow and heck, besides fishing that proverbial spot on a spot...you can get up, walk around, pour a cup of coffee and check out what's in the lunch cooler ....while the boat stays put,...slowly backtrolling into the swells.

Yeah I might be able to do it with my bow mount. but it is so much easier to backtroll. It just depends on hard you want to work, I guess.

Last edited by T Mac; 03-26-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

PS: You'll need wave wackers or some other brand of Splash guards on any of them..... for backtrolling.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4aneye View Post
I'll take you fishing out here in the plains some day.
Riding a bucking horse might be easier than sitting up front on a bow mount for sure some days on Mill Lacs LOL
Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Slot Fish

Kdawg,

I own an '06 1850 and spend lots of time in it and use it for business too. I would have to say that the 1850 is the best boat I could ask for, for me... If I lost it for some reason I would but another one in a heartbeat, just as it is. It has a real good price point for what you get - (bang for the buck) and is remarkable in resale value. (It was even an better buy in '06 when they were trying to sell it as a Fish and Play boat - competing for the lower-priced "Family Market') I fell in love with it and saw it as a fishing boat that would do-it-all. Then it got "discovered" as a walleye boat... Imagine that. :-)

I use it for fishing and work year round and always keep dry - and when friends and family come visit it is a real good ski boat (skis two easily). If you fill the live well with water and have a couple people sit in the rear seats and trim it up so it makes a big wake and stay off plane it even makes a real good wakeboard boat. (My nephew can jump from wake to wake and do the tricks he does on the fancy wakeboard boats) I have the stock ski pylon and bimini top that both fasten in and out as easy as can be and disappear with out a trace.

It is real stable and dry in rough water or skipping along in a nice light chop at 50mph.

It is very safe - my wife doesn't worry much when I am out in the dark in the winter. She was always concerned in the other boats I have had... She was right.

It is the real swiss-army-knife of boats as I see it. AND BTW I am not paid to say this - I am just a happy customer.

It is very easy for one person to manage launching and recovering and easily handles in all the boat control tasks you might want to do.

But - I don't think you would be happy with it as a backtroller at all. The transon is just not designed for it. I think a traditional fisherman would be much happier in a traditional walleye boat.

Have fun what ever you do.

Al
Point12
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet man View Post
Riding a bucking horse might be easier than sitting up front on a bow mount for sure some days on Mill Lacs LOL
20' cords on pedals, Co-pilot, I-Pilot, who needs to sit up front?