Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Water Spike or Richter anchor? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Keeper

Default Water Spike or Richter anchor?

Which one should I buy for a 19' skeeter? I fish mostly big water (Winnie). Whatever I buy I'll also have a Drop-n-Stay. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

I have had both for over 15 years now. I have found that the Richter is more versatile. The Spike stays home on many trips to conserve space and weight.

2019 Skeeter WX1910
Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Kdawg,
If you have a drop and stay, save the money and space and buy a 10 lb and a 15 lb navy anchor for $1 per lb.

Use the one that is required to hold the boat.

Put a 4 foot chain on the anchor and then use an anchor clevis to attach the anchor loop to the anchor.

If you really get into a blow, you can alway hook the two anchors together and you will be fine.

The nice thing about the navy anchors is that they are very compact and - as long as you are using the drop and stay will hold your boat just fine.

The Richter and Water Spike are both great anchors. But the Richter is quite expensive and the water spike is quite bulky and you generally need to take it apart to store it.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Minnow

do you think spot lock on an i-pilot would work?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Wallhanger

Richter.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Wallhanger

Over the many years I've owned my boat, I've used a few different anchors. The best one I've owned was an inexpensive Hooker brand until the tips got very dull. My Water Spike opens too far, almost 90 degrees, and doesn't dig in very well. It will go to a weld shop to be modified to open only as far as the old Hooker.
There's a "home built" anchor that's sold locally the holds extremely well. It's made of farm cultivator shovels around a central big lump of lead. It's strong, but doesn't store well at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP View Post
I have had both for over 15 years now. I have found that the Richter is more versatile. The Spike stays home on many trips to conserve space and weight.
Where did you find an anchor that takes up less space and weighs less than a WaterSpike?

The recommended WaterSpike for my boat (16-22') weighs about ten pounds, and breaks down into two pieces in about ten seconds. I've been using them for about six years, and have yet to find a better anchor for big lake fishing.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Minnow

Default Anchor

I have to agree with Hombre. I bought a waterspike this winter with a drop and stay. Had the boat out last Fri and use the waterspike in steady 30 mph wind. The waterspike had us stuck in place for hours. I agree you have to break it down to save space, but it takes no time to take it apart and put back together.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Hombre,
I completly agree that the water spike is a wonderful anchor, weighs little and can be stored in most areas as long as it is disassembled.

I simply prefer the compact shape of the navy anchor. No, it doesn't hold quite as well as a water spike but it is much smaller less expensive and stores with out taking apart or putting together.

Take care
REW
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Minnow

Default Anchor

BIG WATER was the key word to this tread, on big water I prefer to stay where I drop anchor. It safer that way.