Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leadcore problems??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 PM
chadnofish1

Default Leadcore problems???

I put lead core on one of my reels recently for a salmon trip. Here what I did... Backed with about 20 yards of mono and tied a improved albright knot to about 50 yards of whiplash then stipped out a little core and tied the whiplash to the lead core using an improved albright. Then tied on about 10 yards of mono again using the same knot for a leader. I used superglue on all knots.

It sounded like a good idea at the time (whiplash I used so I could get more backing on behind the core then I used the mono on the base so the whiplash wouldnt slip. Now I worry about all the knots.

What do you think should I worry???

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Leadcore problems???

Worry about the knots while tieing them (look them over close, and do them right) then ....don't worry about them anymore.
Keep an eye on the super-glued areas. When they begin to look worn, (where the super-glue ends), retie them.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

In the future you can eliminate the mono backing by putting a bit of electrical tape on the spool, keeps the braided line from slipping. Usually when tying mono to lead it's not the knot that breaks, it's the mono about .5 inch directly below the knot, due to the friction of pulling the knot tight. Use good heavy mono and take care pulling the knots good at tight, and you should have no problems.

Dusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

ETT is right, don't spool it if you aren't confident with your knot. Cut and retie if you question it.

Eyez, I wouldn't recommend the electrical tape approach for Salmon. Just because a Salmon will strip line even 300 feet back on leadcore.

Here is what I do... there are several other ways that work also.

200 feet 20# Dacron (green dot)
100 yards of 27# LC.
50 feet of 25# mono

To connect the leadcore to either the mono or the dacron, pull the outer layer of the leadcore back 4 - 6". Pinch the lead off with your fingernail. Then tie it to the mono or dacron using a uniknot. I do not use superglue because I don't see how anything can frey beyond the knot..... maybe I should though?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:37 PM
chadnofish1

Thanks for all the reples. JGF what kind of knot is best. Also I agree with ETT about checking the knots after looking again I used the standard Albright Knot. But they sure lookes and felt good when I inspected them. I did use 20# for the leader, too light?? Thanks Chad
Old 08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Pull outside dacron down approximately 4-6" and cut off the lead core. Tie and overhand knot back 8" from the end. DO NOT TIGHTEN IT. That will be done later. Push the monofilament inside the dacron all the way down to the lead. Then move the overhand knot to within 1" of the end of the dacron and tighten. Will not have to worry about weakening the mono when tightening the knot. Have never had the dacron or mono break yet in three years when tying both together this way.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Far Beyond Driven

Don't know about the amount of backing, I've had kings go more than half way through 300 yards of 30# Spiderwire Fusion on a full core on a Penn 330. I usually run it off a board and give them a 100' head start as well, nothing like having 400' + of line out when a fish hits.

Be ready to turn the boat in a hurry if you get a big one. Most of the kings fight the lead and don't run, but fish them long enough, and you'll get one that screams the drag.

That said, an Albright with glue should be fine. I use double uni-knots, and no glue, and that works too, just easier to tie.

FBD, Holland, MI
Old 08-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Wallhanger

Double Uni-knots. There may be something better out there. I just feel more confortable using about four knots all the time and perfecting them.... then I don't worry.

Something else I have done that I haven't heard of anyone else doing... I never had a a problem with it though. Tie an overhand knot in the leadcore with the core still inside. Then tie your backing or leader on with a single uniknot. This is a popular way to connect wire to backing or a leader. I have done this without issue if I have older leadcore that I cannot strip the outer layer back on.