Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rowan Lake Lodge Ontario Canada - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Minnow

Question Rowan Lake Lodge Ontario Canada

Has anyone been to the Rowan Lake Lodge in Ontario recently? I believe it has a relatively new owner and is located on the west end of the lake several miles from Alexanders and Hook & Horn. How are the accommodations? Is it strictly fly-in? How is the Musky fishing in August?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhalldds View Post
Has anyone been to the Rowan Lake Lodge in Ontario recently? I believe it has a relatively new owner and is located on the west end of the lake several miles from Alexanders and Hook & Horn. How are the accommodations? Is it strictly fly-in? How is the Musky fishing in August?
I have been to Rowan Lake years ago and stayed at the Rowan Lake Lodge.I was working for the MNR and we were doing some timber cruising around Isinglass Lake which is as you may know just northwest of Rowan Lake.Isinglass Lake is the clearest water I have ever seen for a freshwater lake and you can see well beyond 40 feet from the surface down.I did get a chance to fish Rowan in the evenings after work and remember catching Muskie right off the dock.I also remember watching 2 & 3 fish chasing the lure at one time on a couple occasions.Very productive lake indeed.There are 50+ inch fish in Rowan Lake without a doubt as explained to me by the owner during our stay and he had the pictures to back it up.This was also in the mid 1980's.The Muskie fishing in August would be productive but I would go deep if in search for a big trophy female.

The very large fish during August can be found in 50+ feet of water where the females will be feeding on Lake Trout,Ciscoes and or Shad.I have caught Muskie at these depths while trolling for Lake Trout on many lakes in the area.However,there are plenty of Muskie to be caught off of reefs and rock structures throughout the lake.In August I would focus on rock hump and saddle structures adjacent to deep drop offs.I have always had good results with black Suick jerk baits,large plastic Dawgs,Jakes,Top Raiders,Top water baits like the Ramblers and Poe's Jackpot's.Bucktails with large colorado and willow leaf blades can still produce some fish during early August but not as much as during the June and July months.My baits all range in the 8" to 12" for length.

Again,trolling with large Shad or Ciscoe type baits can produce very large fish that are suspended over deeper water off sharp drop offs.I set my baits anywhere from 20' to 50' feet depending on the maximum depth of water I will be fishing over.

Also,White Sucker live rigs can also produce some large fish during this time of year.I usually drift with the rig over deep to shallow areas with the bail open and let the fish grab it with no resistance which allows it to swim with it for a minute or so giving it time to turn it head first into it's mouth before setting the hooks.

Both Rowan and Dryberry lakes get low fishing pressure.I hear from people I know who still fish them every now and then.They tell me the fish populations are still very healthy.Dryberry Lake would definitely get a little less pressure on an annual basis and in my opinion if you are targeting a record fish Dryberry would edge out Rowan for catching one.

All in all both lakes would provide some A-1 angling.It just depends on what you are willing to do to get to them.You can access Rowan Lake by driving down the Maybrun Road which is just north of Sioux Narrows.Travelling north on Highway 71 you would turn right and head east.The road follows Lobstick Bay for a bit before heading southeast to Rowan Lake.I couldn't tell you what shape that road is in since I have not travelled it in over 10 years.Most of the time we would fly into Rowan Lake when working for the MNR Forestry Department.I would venture a guess though and say it is on average in better shape than Graphic Lake Road as Mayburn Road is used more frequently by local cottage owners as well as fisherpersons and hunters.The Accommodations at Rowan lake were satisfactory at the time I was there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rowan Lake Depth Contour .jpg
Views:	387
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	245570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rowan Lake Topographical.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	245578  
Old 02-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Minnow