Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lindy rig getting twisted up - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
old geezer

Default Lindy rig getting twisted up

You may think this is a stupid question but I need an answer anyway. I mostly jig or use downrigger when out and have decided to get with the program, but I can't keep the rig from getting tangled. Here is the scenario. I'm moving at about 1.5mph the rig is a threeway with the lower having a two foot dropper with a no snag sinker on, the other leg has about 2ft of line with a floating jighead and a crawler attached. The rig lowers fine as I move forward sinker down and worm above and out behind, the rod tip looks like it is bouncing bottom ok but after about three minutes or so I pick it up to check and the two leaders are just twisted together, What am I doing wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Lindy rig getting twisted up

This is just guess and you probably already know this but it may be your using too light of a sinker(what size weight are you using?) for the speed of your troll allowing your sinker to ride up and tangle or another thought is if your bouncing bottom your angle from rod to lure is to great. For bouncing harness you want a 45 degree angle on the line and making sure your bouncing not draging.When you hit bottom when setting or trolling make sure the rig does not get slack line in it as this will allow tangles.Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

This is just guess and you probably already know this but it may be your using too light of a sinker(what size weight are you using?) for the speed of your troll allowing your sinker to ride up and tangle or another thought is if your bouncing bottom your angle from rod to lure is to great. For bouncing harness you want a 45 degree angle on the line and making sure your bouncing not draging.When you hit bottom when setting or trolling make sure the rig does not get slack line in it as this will allow tangles.Hope this helps and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Another thing that can help - is to use a perch dropper for the drop line to the sinker.
Replace the line to the sinker with a piece of coat hanger.
In some locations; they call this a perch dropper.

Take a hammer and flatten the end 1/4 inch of the wire, and drill a 1/16th hole in it. Clen up the hole with a reamer or drill bit and grind the corners round.

You can make the wire length any length that will work for your drop line.

Hook one end to the main line with a snap swivel, and hook your back or line with the hook to the same snap. There really is no need to have a three way.
Hook your main line to the same snap swivel and you will be good to go.

If you want, and if going slow enough the wire itself can be your sinker. If you want more weight - simply add a snap swivel on the end and hook a weight to the snap at the end of the wire.

It is much tougher to get snarls by using the wire for the drop line - compared to another line.

Also, you can drop the line much quicker without having to worry about the lines tangling.

Otherwise - the comment about using a heavier weight and keeping your weight off the bottom is right on.

You really should never be dragging your weight on the bottom. The weight stirs up the bottom and the mud cloud keeps the fish from seeing the bait. There are exceptions where an ocassional drop to the bottom will stir up a mud cloud and then by pulling it up, the fish will sometimes think that there is some bait fish digging in the bottom for larve and come to investigate.

Take care
REW