Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which Lund compares with a Alumacraft Trophy? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

Default Which Lund compares with a Alumacraft Trophy?

Well folks... I'm done with my Alumacraft. Not even one full season of use and I'm looking for something new. I guess Alumacraft and I weren't a great match...

So... Which Lund model would compare to a Alumacraft Trophy 175? My guess would be the Tyee... Looking for a primarily fish, recreational second model. Aww heck... Maybe I should just bite the bullet and either go Pro V or join the Team Ranger.

Honestly, If I could just buy the boat and transfer all my engines and equipment over... That would be the cat's meow! Don't think any dealer would sell just a bare boat... Do you?
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Actually a good buddy of mine and I went over this all spring. If you want any NO BS answers give me a shout. Brannon 847-450-4011
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Minnow

Default Tyee

I looked at the Trophy at our local Cabela's and really liked the boat. Then I looked at the Tyee 1850 and fell in love with it - especially when I ended up buying the Lund at 5k cheaper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

Default Tyee

I agree, Lund's comparable is the Tyee.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Keeper

What is it about the "just the boat" portion of the Alumacraft that you dislike so much to sell it so quick? Seems odd to do that and be looking for Lunds comperable model.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior58er View Post
What is it about the "just the boat" portion of the Alumacraft that you dislike so much to sell it so quick? Seems odd to do that and be looking for Lunds comperable model.
Since I may be advertising this boat here in the classifieds, to give complete disclosure, I did have issues with porpoising when I first took possession of this boat. With a little redistribution of weight and raising the engine one hole, those problems are but a memory. I can still get the bow to bounce, but on MY terms. Meaning if I were to use improper trim angles. Which would be true of any boat really. As they say, all is good now. With this being the only real "problem" I had with her, and it being solved. Case closed.

Honestly, I do enjoy this boat. BUT.... I'd like a boat more geared towards fishing rather than a 50/50 split with a fish-n-ski type that I feel my Trophy is. I'm finding the taller freeboard to be a bit of an issue with my bad back. And, I'd like more interior space. I'd have gone bigger with my current boat but my dealer gave me bogus info on overall lengths and heights. With the folding tongue and correct trailer set up, I could fit the 20' Trophy in my garage with room to spare. Can't fault the boat, just the dealer. I've since found a new dealer that's been taking good care of me and my equipment.

I have Yamaha's for engines. A 150F for the main and a 9.9 kicker. Both 2011 models. These I'd like to keep.... Hence the reason for "just the boat" portion. It's set up with all H-Bird large format graphs and a Terrova out front. Again, all I'd like to just swap over to a new "boat only".

Looking at comparing similar models Alumacraft vs. Lund puts me on an even playing field knowing I'm comparing apples to apples. You might say I'm using those models as a baseline and searching from there.

If you knew me you really wouldn't think this is odd at all. Most of my buddies think I'm a bit off with the way I go through vehicles and things. I never seem to be 100% satisfied. Must be the engineer in me thinking there's always a better way.

Just ask my girlfriend. Her typical response--->
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Wallhanger

Dan... If you want something more geared to fishing than your trophy... Pro-V IFS and Explorer Sport are more that direction...especially storage-wise.
The Tyees... like Trophy are more into the family fish/ ski design.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Keeper

Exactly... So try to find a used Pro V that needs to be re-powered. Take your engines and hang them on the Pro V, then sell the Alumacraft hull. The free board on the Pro V is about 5 inches less than the Tyee, as I recall. As long as you find one with the IPS2 hull, you shouldn't really notice a difference in the ride compared to the Tyee. If you're lucky, you might find a Pro V that has engine(s) you could hang on the Alumacraft...making it easier to sell.

TB
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with Tmac. Sounds like you want a Pro-V style boat. The 1860 would be a good fit with an added ski pylon or Skeeter wx1900 as well and of coarse many others in this class. I would recommend just selling the boat rigged and start new. You aren't that far off time wise in finding a close out on some of the current models. I honestly don't think you are going to find the Tyee to be that much different from your current rig and if you are looking for a change this early in the game I would take a different direction in the style of rig.

Bill
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

In the Tyee/family boat style, the Crossover (which replaces the Fisherman series) looks very nice.

http://www.lundboats.com/boats/2011-...m/crossover-xs