Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Smith & Wesson - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:52 AM
Wallhanger

I bought one in 9mm for concealed carry about 3 months ago. I never shot pistols before so I'm learning how. I've shot about 400 rounds through it with no malfunctions. If I was going to shoot targets I would probably get something bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 AM
Keeper

I have had two of them. Both in 40. I loved the firearm. Great for CC IWB in a proper holster. Only thing I did not care for was practice time with it. The 40 had one **** of a bite to it. Ammo for 40 is a little tougher to find in my area also. I want another one but next time in a 9mm. The only reason I got rid of mine was financial issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 AM
Keeper

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm, I like the way it fits in my hand, I also have a Ruger 9mm, its a little fussy about what rounds you put into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016, 06:18 AM
Wallhanger

It is available with or without a thumb safety. Hickcok45 has a really good review (as usual) of it on Utube.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnovice View Post
While I don't see myself "carrying" anytime soon, I am getting my permit next month. As far as getting a hand gun that I could shoot league with, for sure not leaning that way. Would like something just in case
In MN, Bill's gun shops and ranges have pistols you can rent to try out. Similar would be Walther PPS, Ruger SR9c, some Glock flavor. (not a Glock guy, so won't advise there). The M&P has varieties with and without safeties, as others have said. Try before you buy. The gun you practice with is the gun you'll shoot well. Some are larger, heavier, easier to shoot, while some are smaller, have more recoil, different ergos, but conceal better. It's a matter of what you want.

Don't discount the SR9c. I have one and love it.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
In MN, Bill's gun shops and ranges have pistols you can rent to try out. Similar would be Walther PPS, Ruger SR9c, some Glock flavor. (not a Glock guy, so won't advise there). The M&P has varieties with and without safeties, as others have said. Try before you buy. The gun you practice with is the gun you'll shoot well. Some are larger, heavier, easier to shoot, while some are smaller, have more recoil, different ergos, but conceal better. It's a matter of what you want.

Don't discount the SR9c. I have one and love it.
My SR8c shoots well, and is well reviewed, plus it is fairly inexpensive to purchase. That said, my favorite is CZ75 compact PCR, unbelievable gun, watch the you tube reviews. Both the Sr9c and the CZ are known for high reliability with about any brand of ammo, something else to take into account. 9mm has acceptable recoil for me, and the ammo cost is reasonable. For easy carry, the Sig P238 is great, plus also noted for reliability.

Bill
Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 AM
Wallhanger

Fwiw I'd first decide if your going to shoot league or carry it, two different animals.

I have a Sig Compact in .45acp and it makes a nice carry gun, sucks as a Bullseye gun, 40 or 50 rounds though it and I start to develop a flinch and spend to much effort trying to keep that from happening.
When I shoot targets I'll use one of the Gold Cup's or SVI full sized .45's, as I can shoot them all afternoon and remain accurate.

If you can only get one gun, I'd look for something like a .357 revolver, run .38's for target and practice, and full load .357 defense for carry.
You'll lose some accuracy with a short carry barrel, but ya gotta go with what works for you.

Like Rat says, a lightweight .40 (and a lot of other calibers) is not pleasant to shoot a lot of rounds though, pick a weapon the fits and is comfortable to shoot.
imho

al
Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 PM
DeVilbiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Doc View Post
My carry gun is a S&W MP Shield 40 cal. I have over 1,000 rounds through it without a misfire or jamb. Easy gun to carry. For my money I want a 40 cal over a 9mm. Same gun, same weight, more knock down. My wife pocket carries a Sig 380. Very nice gun with tritium night sights. Just not enough oomph for my taste. Looked hard at Kimbers but they are over-rated.

Shoot your right foot with the .40 and do the same on your left foot with the 9mm. Then shoot both knees with the .380. Let us know if you could tell the differences
Old 02-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Slot Fish

I have it in 9mm as my CCW. Fits nicely IWB and shoots good enough for what it is. Get some hot rounds(+P) and you can get pretty good ballistics. I was considering the 40 initially but the higher $$ ammo turned me toward the cheaper 9mm FMJ loads for practice/target. It is my first CC weapon but will likely add a hammerless .380 revolver to the stable soon.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Wallhanger

Brilliant post by the guest.