Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Now This is what I'm talkin about!!!

You guy's rock!!

FC
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Keeper

I do a lot of jigs! I pour and paint my own Cabelas Wobble Head in 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8,... 1/8 ball head... and 1/32 and 1/16 minnow head.

Wobble Jigs:

Minnow head:

Ball head:

I use the Pro-tec powder paint, it's really great stuff after you learn how to use it.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigngrub View Post
I do a lot of jigs! I pour and paint my own Cabelas Wobble Head in 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8,... 1/8 ball head... and 1/32 and 1/16 minnow head.

Wobble Jigs:

Minnow head:

Ball head:

I use the Pro-tec powder paint, it's really great stuff after you learn how to use it.
I've been looking into using the Pro Tec Powder.I notice you have 2 tone schemes how do you achieve that with the powder paint?Do you tape it off??I have a ton of lead to paint this winter and the Pro Tec looks like the way to go.That vinal paint is toxic but I can get 2 tone schemes out of it?

BTW your jig's look awesome,I've never used a wobble head they would be great with bass assassin on em!

SWEET!!!!!!

FC
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
Great way to kill the cold months. We poured 400 ball head jigs in one weekend. I started out with an empty plano box and ended the weekend with a full sauger box ready for anything. I'm at work now but I'll have to post up some pictures of the main ones we did. They weren't anything special. I spend more time working on bass jigs than anything.
Nice I look forward to seeing your creations!!!Bet that plano box weighed a ton!

FC
Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
I found that store bought jigs were #1. Pure Junk (thin wire hooks, bad paint, etc) #2. to expensive and #3. both to expensive and cheaply built.

I have a friend who is a Gamakatsu Pro and he turned me on to their hooks. He makes his own jigs and has modified the mold with a Dremel Tool to add an extra "ring" to the collar of the jig to hold the plastics.

I take the raw jigs and powder paint them myself as well as tie my own hair jigs.

These things are AWESOME. My hook-ups have drastically improved. The paint stays on after a day of rocks and abuse. No more junk jigs coming back with bent/broken hooks and missing paint.

Also these are in a wide gap version which I really prefer. I was skeptical at first using a 3/0 and 4/0 wide gap hook but after a season of use let me tell you. WOW, I'm convinced.

The only down side is these hooks are sharp and hook EVERYTHING. So if you are in snaggy stuff, be prepared. However the extra strong wire allows me to usually pull my hooks free of whatever snag I've caught.

The white jigs are 3/8oz and you'll see the hooks aren't terrible bad comparatively but they still aren't great.

The orange/yellow jigs are 1/8oz. You'll see the hooks on the store bought versions are thin junk.
That's a great idea!I never thought to use wide gap hooks,now are you using these to present live bait or plastic?

FC
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
That's a great idea!I never thought to use wide gap hooks,now are you using these to present live bait or plastic?

FC
I seldom use live bait. These do work for live bait but for the most part I run plastics with them. As you can imagine it is hard on the smaller minnows to run that hook through them.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
I seldom use live bait. These do work for live bait but for the most part I run plastics with them. As you can imagine it is hard on the smaller minnows to run that hook through them.
Yea but on a nice 6-7" long leech it would work fine!!Believe it or not I've used small eels for eye's here on the Delaware river and a Wide gap 1/4 to 1/2 oz Jig with a wide gap would be the ticket with a 8-10" eel on.I usually have to weight em a little in deeper current.

NICE!!!!!

FC
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Yea but on a nice 6-7" long leech it would work fine!!Believe it or not I've used small eels for eye's here on the Delaware river and a Wide gap 1/4 to 1/2 oz Jig with a wide gap would be the ticket with a 8-10" eel on.I usually have to weight em a little in deeper current.

NICE!!!!!

FC
That makes sense. Usually by "leech season" here I'm running 3-ways or trolling cranks.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Keeper

Quote:
I've been looking into using the Pro Tec Powder.I notice you have 2 tone schemes how do you achieve that with the powder paint?Do you tape it off??I have a ton of lead to paint this winter and the Pro Tec looks like the way to go.That vinal paint is toxic but I can get 2 tone schemes out of it?

BTW your jig's look awesome,I've never used a wobble head they would be great with bass assassin on em!

SWEET!!!!!!

FC
Some of the 2 tones are one color over the other, usually the darker color over the light one. Others are a white base coat and dip one side in one color, then the other side in a different color. Some overcoat colors will turn a different color, like blue over pink will turn purple. The colors with glitter in them are translucent so you can really get some good other colors by layering. Some other colors like black, and most of the fluorescent colors are opaque and won't let an under color show through. It is a lot of fun to experiment with and come up with your own custom colors.

Another reason I like the powder paint is that there is no fumes, vapors, or stench and you don't have to worry about stinking up the house... or getting a headache from toxic fumes.

Powder painting is pretty addictive to me, and I spends hours in the winter at my work bench just sitting quietly and painting painting painting... it keeps me out of trouble.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigngrub View Post
Some of the 2 tones are one color over the other, usually the darker color over the light one. Others are a white base coat and dip one side in one color, then the other side in a different color. Some overcoat colors will turn a different color, like blue over pink will turn purple. The colors with glitter in them are translucent so you can really get some good other colors by layering. Some other colors like black, and most of the fluorescent colors are opaque and won't let an under color show through. It is a lot of fun to experiment with and come up with your own custom colors.

Another reason I like the powder paint is that there is no fumes, vapors, or stench and you don't have to worry about stinking up the house... or getting a headache from toxic fumes.

Powder painting is pretty addictive to me, and I spends hours in the winter at my work bench just sitting quietly and painting painting painting... it keeps me out of trouble.
Yes the stench,ah that vinal paint really stinks!I'm gonna get some powder and try it out!Do you use one of those cups to dip?I'm not sure what there called but I've seen them online.The PVC thing with a fish tank aerator hooked into it?I just got some simple plans to build one.Now how do you cook your jigs?I've read that allot guy's use a toaster oven,cause I guess you can set the temperature?Or do you just use your home oven?

FC