Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home made jigging raps - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 12-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=packpro;4369593]Question: Has anyone ever caught a fish on the nose hook, or is it just there for balance? Doesn't it foul the line on occasion?[/QUOTE I have caught quite a few on the nose hook but the majority are caught on the treble hook or the rear hook. This may be due to the way I prefer to fish the lure. I bounce it off the bottom much the same way you would a jig and minnow. I have to believe the nose hook is in the sand more often than not when the walleyes grab the bait making it hard for them to get hooked on the nose hook. Now I am talking open water fishing here. Ice fishing may be a bit different. I can see where the nose hook would get hooked on the ice once and a while but I am not convinced I would cut them off. I haven't used them for ice fishing much. I don't think the hook is there just for balance although it may play into it a little. I really don't recall the nose hook fouling on the line any more than the treble or the rear hook. About the only time I have any trouble with fouling is if I get too aggressive with my jigging.Your results may be different. This is just from my own first hand experience. Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the reply rob. What do you use for the tails?
Old 12-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Keeper

Default tails

I use the plastic corner protectors you use on dry wall. I get mine at Menards. They are very reasonably priced and the plastic is easy to cut. I put masking tape on it and then draw the tails on that.I made a template first and then just trace around it. Goes pretty good that way. I use a sharp utility knife to score the plastic and then you can snap it off. I then use a dremmel tool with a cut off wheel to cut the notch in it where it attaches to the body. I make a small cut through the paint where the tail gets glued on. I use the same cut off tool for that. I just cut through the paint. That way the tails can have the same notch cut in them and I don't have to allow for different thicknesses of paint. I have been using a two part, five minute epoxy, (Gorilla Glue) to attach the tails to the body. It is a cheap easy way to make the tails. Give it a try! Been working good for me. Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for sharing. I will give this a try. By the way, your jigging raps look awesome!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaugerSlayer View Post
Thanks for sharing. I will give this a try. By the way, your jigging raps look awesome!
Thank you and good luck! Let me know how it goes. Rob
Old 02-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbalmer View Post
I have been making my own jigging raps for the last three years and have gotten them to where they swim very nicely. I changed the style of the front and rear hook to an aberdeen jig hook that is considerably larger than the stock hooks they come with and found that I have a better hooking percentage and far fewer fish shaking the hooks boatside. I have been using a cross lock snap molded into the body for the treble hook hanger and line tie eyelet. The treble I use is a mustad that only two of the hooks are brazed together allowing you to spread them apart so they can be slipped on your lure with out a split ring. Alot of the blade baits on the market use these. They work but in my opinion are a bit week and you need to bee careful unhooking fish or you will bend them out of shape fairly easily. I have tried a split ring and other trebles and had too much trouble with the hook fouling on the back of the lure. My question is if any one would know where to order the "hook hanger/line tie that rapala and some of the other manufacturers use in theirs. thanks Rob
Nice looking baits. Here's something that may work for your hook hangers. http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-St...tchHikers.html
Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 AM
Keeper

Those just might be what I am looking for. I haven't seen them before. Thanks for sharing. Rob
Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbalmer View Post
Here are a couple more pictures of the jigging raps.
I modified something similar with a jig but without the bottom treble or gliding fin

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by northshoremb; 03-21-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoremb View Post
I modified something similar with a jig but without the bottom treble or gliding finhttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...3c3b2180b8.jpg.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Interesting idea. Looks like the secondary hook eye could just be snipped off, unless it is utilized, somehow?

Bill
Old 03-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Keeper

Ggg

Last edited by northshoremb; 04-04-2016 at 07:10 PM.