Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Running in engines? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfishman186 View Post
Wow if that is true than the dealers that do break In peoples motors before selling them would be outta business quick. 1 the many many hours they would have to pay to have someone ride around in a boat all day 2 all of the boats that were broke in would be USED and would sell for thousands less.
I would think that in this day and age, with the computer technology built into these motors. The dealer it dipping a un-proped motor into a barrel of water, hooking a computer to the motor and running a break-in program. Walks away to only check on progress once in a while.

It's all about working smarter not harder.........

I am not mechanic but this is the only way I can see a dealer affording to break-in a motor. With insurance rates and hourly rates.etc.etc.etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Keeper

I went through the engine break in deal last year, longest 9 hours of my life, first hour was fun. I bet you pay for the break in if the dealers doing it. If the guy sells 30 new motors a year thats over of month of salary to pay someone to drive in circles and go up and down the trottle, not to mention the time mounting and remounting everything. My dealer told me to do it correctly because the computer stores its RPM history, and if there are any issues Merc would know. Dont know if thats true or a way to get my attention, either way I did it as ordered.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A & W Dad View Post
My dealer told me to do it correctly because the computer stores its RPM history, and if there are any issues Merc would know. Dont know if thats true or a way to get my attention, either way I did it as ordered.
That's pretty much BS. Unless they checked the motor immediately after the break-in. The CPU stores/logs the total hours at each RPM range. However on the printout it doesn't log dates or at which hour what RPM occurred.

The printouts I get each time the Verado is in the shop just shows how many hours at each RPM range.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-31-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Wallhanger

I though the break in time was fun. It gave me time to learn about the boat and how things worked before I "had" to use them. It's no big deal to keep the motor trimed fully down and drive around while varing the throttle. Anyway if it was 100% critical that break in was done precisely otherwise there would be warranty issues then the manufacturer would do it before the motor shipped. Seems like just another service, like undercoating, that a dealer tacks on to charge for.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Keeper

Smile or

go etec its has no break in period...
Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Keeper

Default Pro Staff

A lot of dealers (My favorite included) have "pro staff" that will gladly take you out in the rig you are shopping for. These are guys that work at the shop, tourney guys or otherwise on the promotional staff.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with Blackmacs-I liked the time I spent breaking in the engine. But-I would have also liked if my dealer had done it-and would have never thought the engine to be "used". When I broke it in-that was the last time I didn't have a rod and reel in the boat-so I wouldn't be tempted. I logged everything down and the when the power head blew at 28 hours-my butt was fully covered. And was back in the water in less than a week.
Walteye
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Keeper

Next time I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes I will try to get the salesman to walk 5 miles in them for me so I don't have to..
I pick my boat up Saturday and I can't wait to spend 10 hours on the boat breaking it in, even if its 40 degrees out i will still be happy.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfishman186 View Post
Next time I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes I will try to get the salesman to walk 5 miles in them for me so I don't have to..
I pick my boat up Saturday and I can't wait to spend 10 hours on the boat breaking it in, even if its 40 degrees out i will still be happy.
Amen to that brother. I took the dog, a 6 pack of cold ones and some good tunes. Cruised around the lake just like the manual said and had a good ol time. I just love being on the water.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Minnow

When I picked up my new predator with a Honda on it recently I was told two things.

1.) The official "CYA" from the dealer. "Break it in 20 hours, vary the throttle, bring it back for an oil change".
2.) Reality from the dealer. This dealer has worked with a Honda executive selling him boats before. The break in is done at the factory. They run the engine at a super high RPM and get it hot to seal everything. There really is no break in period required on these new engines.

Of course I will still do the "CYA" method because it wont hurt anything to be careful.