Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Most unusual walleye catches - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Keeper

Default Most unusual walleye catches

With the days getting longer, the anticipation and exictement of our upcoming Canadian fly-in trips occupy more of my thoughts. One of my most memorable fly-in experiences was last July when I introduced a young angler on his first fly-in trip to buzzbaits. We happened to be fishing in some small rapids on Lac Evans in Quebec. He was using a double prop buzzbait and landed a Walleye. Yes, on topwater. Fishing right next to him using a single prop buzzer myself, I won't forget him hollering over to his Dad w/ what he had just done. After all the laughing, high 5's, pictures and a successful release, this is probably the most unusual Walleye catch I've seen. Would love to hear other's most unusual Walleye catches if you'd care to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

Default Not a walleye but....

One year fishing the Wenasaga River sanctuary, before the moved the date back, I saw a kid, around 9 years old catch a pike on a Gummy worm! Not many of us would be able to snack on our bait eh!?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

We used to catch many a walleye trolling rapalas where the walleye would bite onto the rubber cored sinker and just not let go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Wallhanger

Default "lol"

Hi 5 of Diamonds, One afternoon on a remote portage lake the walleyes had their feedbags on and the 3 of us caught and released over 60+- in an hour. We ran out of minnows so my buddy put a piece of a Johnsonville Brat off of his sandwich on his bare jig and continued to catch walleye one right after another. We always wanted to send the story to Johnsonville but never did LOL. Have a great year.

Thank you,
Larry Mac

Last edited by Larry Mac; 02-26-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default Double or nothing

Caught a northern on a piece of black licorice and a jig on a $10 bet. Did it again for double or nothing with a fresh piece.

If they'd have been walleyes, I'd have taken pictures, but I actually had two northerns IN MY BOAT in the same day.

I was so ashamed.....

Last edited by bigwalleye1; 02-26-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Keeper

Hooked a crankbait (chartruse #7 rapala) that had broken off in a walleye's mouth. The rear hook of crankbait we were fishing with hooked the front hook of the crankbait that had broken off in the walleye's mouth. So we caught the walleye with a rod and reel while trolling, BUT, never actually hooked it ourselves - go figure.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Slot Fish

Craziest catch that ive seen was my dad...casted an old lazy ike out, he thought the trebles hooks were tangled up when retrieving the lure...brought it into the boat and had a dragonfly hooked perfectly through the head! I've never seen such an accurate cast! We still laugh at that picture of him and his dragonfly.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

While ice fishing at the mouth of the Saginaw river using a #5 jiggin rapala and 1/2 minnow in 30 feet of water I caught a leporad frog. He was hooked in the mouth on the tail hook not quite big enough to gaf though.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Slot Fish

Was jigging for walleys south on Minaki, was a slow afternoon and nailed into something big, turned out to be a metal stringer, the ones with the large hooks that snap shut with 3 walleyes on it, one of them was 25". Released all 3.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default My partner

Was fishing with my buddy in Manaki one day and he caught a nice 25 incher. He insisted on keeping it so he could mount it. I told him nobody mounts a 25 incher, you need one over 30 for that. It just so happens he snapped it on the stringer with tow other keepers but forgot to clip it onto the boat. We jigged for it all afternoon but never could hook it.

Nah, i was just kidding. Actually we were fishing Hawk Lake, a small lake and needed three on our last day to pack out. We had the perfect ones, 17-18 inches and decided to fish for lakers the rest of the day. We pulled up over the laker spot and I threw out the stringer with the three perfect walleyes and watched it sink as the knot had come loose from the boat on the trip over. Instead of laker fishing we spent the last hour trying to catch three more even though the bite had slowed a little. Had to settle for three 14 inchers. I'm still not sure if we were in violation of the possession limit!