Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dog breeder? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 05-01-2014, 03:24 AM
Minnow

Default Dog breeder?

I have a friend who's daughter is looking to get a Bernese Mountain Dog and some things just don't sound right. I don't know if this is normal but she is only paying $300 instead of the $2000 but she is not allowed to come and pick out or look at the puppies until the day she picks them up because of parvo and then when the dog is of breeding age she has to bring her back and the dog stays with the breeder until the puppies are gone which is for about 8 weeks and has to do this for 3-5 years. I have bought 2 dogs from breeders and right after they were born we got to come over and see the parents and pick out a puppy. So is any of this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 AM
Keeper

So it sounds like the breeder that is selling the puppy wants to retain breeding rights for 3-5 years? Is that why the price is so cheap.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Keeper

The price is way too low and the rest of it sounds odd as well. Make sure the breeder will provide a list off references and call a few to check out the previous transactions and the health/quality/temperment of the pups. If the breeder is close enough, your friend should go meet the breeding pair and take a look at the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

NO WAY! I'm not a breeder but here's what I see.

$2000 and she can come pick the puppy. It's her's free and clear to train, feed, and breed as she see's fit... or not.

Or, $300... they stick her with the runt or least desirable puppy that hasn't been picked already by someone else. Keep in mind, if it's a good looking pup... for $300 I would keep it in my breeding stock vs selling it that reduced if it was a good puppy. Then.... they get to breed that dog for 3-5 years.... sell those puppies for $2000 each, and she ends up with the "old maid", and any medical issues that may arise from having multiple litters of puppies. And she "saved" $1700 ?!

Nope. No way. If she want's the dog, then pay for it. This is a terrible arrangement IMO, and it will result in more tears of pain than tears of joy. Quite honestly... I wouldn't deal with this type of breeder even at full price.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

If in doubt, pass on it.

I would.

We spent many, many hours researching the dogs we bought, she should do the same.

Go back several generations, talk to others who have bought from the breeder, join a breed forum or two, see if there's a club in the area and go talk to them.
Remember personal opinions are just that, opinions.

Sounds hokey to me, better go with a dog you have complete control over and can chose which one you want, hard to return them once they bond to ya.

Al
Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Being a dog breeder for many years, If someone did not come to meet the litter they would never get a puppy..

300 sounds about right on a co-ownership deal but.... Care and responsibilities need to be clearly defined. Health testing, training etc are all expense items and I do mean expense.

The basic clearances for breeding at last count Heart, eyes, hips, blood work can easily exceed $2000. Heartworm meds ~ 10 month annual vet check etc $150. I will not breed a dog unless it has pointed in the show ring and has proven abilities in the area it is bred for. ie pointing, herding, carting, retrieving, etc. Showing is expensive but is a good indication that the dog is up to the breed standard in both appearance and working ability.

On top of all that, you need to deal with a dog in season and the bigger they are the messier it is.

The grand finale' a percentage of dogs are lost during the delivery and birthing process, not talking pups, talking your pet.

Something here does not sound right. IMO. here raise the dog, cover the expenses and let me get a couple litters. Not what a reputable breeder would really want to do.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 AM
The Big Papa

Default No Breeder

This sounds like a puppy mill. Please do not confuse a legitimate breeder and a puppy mill.

Stay away. Stay far away.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

There's so much wrong with that scenario, find another source.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Keeper

We got our present Berner from this breeder. Our dog just turned 3 and she has been a very good dog, in general, much like our first Berner in many ways, but there are differences. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. It looks like they may have puppies available too.

https://sites.google.com/site/dewitf...ilable-puppies
Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhogue View Post
I have a friend who's daughter is looking to get a Bernese Mountain Dog and some things just don't sound right. I don't know if this is normal but she is only paying $300 instead of the $2000 but she is not allowed to come and pick out or look at the puppies until the day she picks them up because of parvo and then when the dog is of breeding age she has to bring her back and the dog stays with the breeder until the puppies are gone which is for about 8 weeks and has to do this for 3-5 years. I have bought 2 dogs from breeders and right after they were born we got to come over and see the parents and pick out a puppy. So is any of this sound right?
This is not the most common thing to see, but is not unheard of in high end and competition dogs. Basically the breeder is retaining "breeding rights" to the dog. What that means to the breeder and the expenses and who pays for them should be spelled out in a contract. As far as not being able to pick the dog that is because the breeder is going to choose the dog that they believe has the best chance of turning into a dog that they would breed in the future. They wouldn't go through all the hassle of the contract if they didn't think the dog should be bred in the future.

Another thing to consider is that the dog may not turn out to be breeding quality and the dog may never need to go with the breeder. If it did I would expect it to be gone for more than 8 weeks. That is how long the puppies usually stay with the mother after birth. The mother would be gone for longer than that with the breeding and pregnancy.

This is not something you would normally see from a puppy mill they would keep the dogs and breed them every heat cycle not wait to see if they are to breed standard and limit it to 3-5 years.

With that said it is not really something that I would consider myself as it places too many limits and conditions on something that can be far simpler, but is something that may work for someone that is looking for a dog that is priced for more than they can afford.