Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
243 rifle - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
I dont usually get involved in gun discussions because everybody has their own ideas of the perfect gun but here's my experience.

A 243 can be a good gun but they can really vary. My hunting buddy has a long, bull barreled, 243 that shoots like a 30-06. The 243 I owned punched pencil sized holes right through and the deer hardly noticed while my buddies gun tipped them right over. We were using the same custom loaded ammo, go figure.

PS: I sold my 243 and switched to a 308 Rem Model 6 and I love it. Its small and light weight and has a short action like the 243. Its great in a tree stand and the ballistics are really good too. FYI:My son also dumped his 243 after he used my 308.
This could be one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. I hope it made up.
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Why would one consider a "shot up the chute" with any rifle? And if worse came to worse the 85grn tsx out of a .243 would smash through and exit the front. SHOT PLACMENT, bullet construction and last is head stamp each and every time
yes....this.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Minnow

I personally don't believe in the .243 for deer that go over 150 pounds! My wife used hers for hunting during the 2 year period of breast cancer but she perfers her .270 Winchester and 140 grn bullet. I myself use a 6.5/06 and 140 grn bullet. Also the bullets we shoot our game with are premium type like the Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws or the Swift A Frames, especially on the larger game species.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
bad shot

I believe that most do not shoot enough to be good shots and use big calibers as a cruch. I know of more than a many mule deer that have met their end due to a well placed 6mm pill. Speaking of premium bullets give me the 85 tsx ocer any thing the .270 has to offer for deer.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad shot View Post
I believe that most do not shoot enough to be good shots and use big calibers as a cruch.
DING DING DING. We have a winner.

Most hunters are happy if they can hit a 9" pie plate. There are few of us comparatively that aren't happy with a sub MOA group. Let alone a sub sub MOA group.

Me personally, I would feel confident with the .243 out to 400 yards (100 grain SPBT produces 1058 ft lbs at 400 yards). That's more than enough umph to take down mid-sized game. Of course a person needs to be able to shoot that far which takes a lot of practice.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 02-05-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Why would one consider a "shot up the chute" with any rifle?
Well, if a person paid 10k for a once in a lifetime Elk hunt and a 400" bull is walking away from them and about to disappear over the edge of a ridge never to be seen again. I'd shove a 250 grain Swift A Frame "up the chute". I'd even have confidence it would be a fatal shot and I'd be holding my trophy within the hour.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Keeper

Talking 243

I have been following this for the last year and have to add my thoughts;I have been shooting a 6mm rem model 700 since 1964 [yeah in age im gettin to be a old fart] but in all those years ive only had to shoot one deer more than once, most go down when hit .Shots have been 25 yds to 450yds. I'm not a crack shot just put the time in to know what the rifle can do. Bullet choice 100grain hornadys, and off the shelf Remington. For vermin 85 or 90 grain hollow points hand loaded.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Keeper

I have the following and used them all on whitetails and all in heavier cover. 243, 30-30, 7mm08, 7mm Mag, 30-06, 300 win.

I started all my kids on whitetails using the 243 with a 100 grain nosler partition. The furthest any of those deer went was about 40 yards. The longest shot was about 80 yards. The kids have all had Dad in the stand talking them through the first shots on the deer and have gone on to shoot more than a few using the 243 on their own once I thought they were ready to go it alone. My oldest girl shoots the 7mm08 better in terms of accuracy and she has taken some nice deer. I think she considers it hers. My boy likes the 06 and the twin girls have stuck with the 243 so far.

Last season the twins each took one shot and each put a nice deer in the freezer.

The 243 will be just fine as long as you are proficient enough to put the bullet where you want it to go.

All this business about one bullet or the other resisting deflection from brush is something that I just can't get my head around. You can quote all sorts of physcial laws but when you apply them to all the variables that real hunting situations bring to bear on the theory it seems like its nice campfire fodder. I have had bullets go through saplings, hit branches and I have had all them deflected by some pretty minor stuff so from a personal experience point I can't say I seen much in the way of real world examples that back up slow and round nose versus fast and pointy as being better in the brush.

My Dad pushed 140 grain slug out the 7mm mag I now own through a 3" oak and into a deer. When we found the deer it had a shotgun slug size entry hole. No exit on the other side. THe bullet went in and travleded down the Chest/guts exited in the belly area and hung up on the inside of the near leg with the jacket just sticking in the skin. Weird stuff and a bit messy when it came time to gut.

The 243 with the right bullet call it 90+ grains will do just fine on whitetail and it is a lot more pleasant to shoot than a lot of other guns when it comes to recoil. Personally I would pull it out of the cabinet before the 30-30... why? I know I can put the bullet exactly where I want it every time with the 243. The 30-30 is a lever gun and it is no where near as accurate as any of the other guns I listed above.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbalmer View Post
I was wondering about the "up the chute" shot myself. I can't believe any one would deliberately do that.

First, I’ve got to say that shooting an animal in the butt isn’t my preferred shot. Obviously, you’ll lose more meat than usual and cleaning the animal will definitely be memorable. But, have no doubt about it; with the right bullet in the right caliber, it’s a lethal shot.

So, why would someone take this shot? Wade B. gave one reason. Here’s another. Not every animal falls to a single shot. Sometimes, that second shot comes immediately and sometimes it comes after tracking the animal for quite a distance. For me and the guys that I hunt with, pursuing a wounded animal changes everything. You hope that when you find the animal, it’s dead or that it’s presenting an easy, broadside shot. But, what’s a person going to do if you find the animal standing and looking back at you at a less than ideal angle? Do you turn down the shot because you only like to shoot at broadside animals? Do you turn down the shot because you don’t want to ruin the meat? I would never assume that I’m going to get a 3rd chance, so I take the shot that I’m given. The bullet/cartridge combination I’ve chosen needs to perform under the worst conditions, not just the best. It needs to get to the vitals and bring the animal down, no matter what the angle is. Turning down this, or any shot on a wounded animal would be unconscionable.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefellegy View Post
I agree---best all around Mn. deer caliber is the 30.06--180 grain. 1.5 inches high at 100 yds. at the range and you'll be good from 10 to 200 yds. without fail! That bullet will handle more brush than the .243 and will do a better job if you make a little off the mark shot. 30.06 all that way!

I disagree, maybe the most common, but not the best. there is no best. there are a lot of people that don't really know much about bullets and calibers. today compared to 50 years ago, we have so many choices of bullets that are designated to each caliber. bullet construction is far more important than the size of the cartridge. a 243 is a great gun. if you want a caliber that has minimal kick and great balistic charactoristics, you may want to look at a 7mm-08. there are so many choices out there today as far as good calibers, it is hard to go wrong as long as you use the correct bullet.