Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
DVD/Blue Ray advice please - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
$50 will get you a wireless/wired sony 3d/1080/smart unit with all the apps on it that you can plug speakers into. DVD's are like vcr and tapes....streaming and buying content on apps like amazon is where it has/is gone to. Crackle is an app with plenty of free movies, but has comercials in them. All the DVD's I got from college (1999-2003) and up to a few years ago are pretty much collecting dust. Most of the movies i have on dvd are on amazon or netflix and free with a subscription. We buy most our mvoes on amazon now & a few of my family log on with our amazon account and watch them. Soon with the smart apps direct tv and dish will be obsolete...hence why AT&T bought direct tv and is doing the data fee stuff with it. Soon the satellites wont be needed and they will send the programing over the internet. You can already get the movie channels like hbo and stuff in smart apps without having cable. AT&T is really going to develop and change the way programing is delivered and paid for. Streaming is so cheap to do. No inventory controal no production of goods cost...just data transmissions.....no middle man like walmart.....

If you have an older tv that isnt a smart tv just look at a roku stick or amazon fire stick. I put one on the tv in my kids room and it works great. Plus I download my college sports app and get all the games on my tv by streaming even when they aren't on tv. 👍👍
Which $50 Sony smart unit can power a set of speakers????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Just has a Jack out the back for dobly digital not sure how ur sound system is setup.....would think the jack would work for sound?

Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 03-05-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Attached ones to look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	246354  

Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 03-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Just has a Jack out the back for dobly digital not sure how ur sound system is setup.....would think the jack would work for sound?
Only if they have an amplifier. What people are suggesting is that many older systems included the "stereo" as part of the DVD player. If they have that they're going to either need an amplifier or a new player that has speaker outputs (not audio outputs like dolby digital, toslink, etc.).

If they really want help choosing the correct replacement they need to tell us model numbers for the equipment they have.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Attached ones to look at.

NOPE,, a nice unit and typical of the units available and that the OP is wanting to know if he can use.

But in itself ,on its own,cannot power any speakers. The audio outputs are DIGITAL either via the HDMI or Coax outputs, but they need to be attached to a digital audio system that can decode and amplify it to speakers. Typically a 5.1 or 7.1 type surround system,or a soundbar.

The question was if can use THIS type output with his current sound system. As discussed in my previous note, he may be able to, if his current system has a coax (or Toslink) digital input, so it can produce sound sourced from other external digital devices.

And yes would help if the OP told us the brand/ model of his old sound system.

Last edited by MarkG; 03-06-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Keeper

I think the guys are right....

Sounds like a "home theater in a box" type deal.

Normally a DVD/Bluray player will interface with an amplifier and then the amplifier is where the speakers are connected to. With an integrated box, the amp is built in with the DVD player.

Perhaps you could just start with a dvd cleaning kit. It's basically a dvd with eyelashes meant to clean parts of the player.