Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I might have waited too long?! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Keeper

Default I might have waited too long?!

Here in Northwest Indiana, I usually can keep the pontoon boat on the lift until Thanksgiving. Well ... the pontoon boat is up in the air, on the lift with the canopy still on the frame above the boat and the engine is hanging vertical in the completely down position. So, it is supposed to be 5 degrees tonight. It is a 40 hp 4 stroke mercury and I am thinking it is probably just fine in that position. Do you think I should lower the whole boat/lift so the lower unit is in the lake or as long as it is out of the water and the engine is vertical, it should have no water in the lower unit. Next week, it is supposed to be in the 30's so I will put it away in the garage at that point. I was just wondering but hoping as long as the lower unit is drained, the engine should be fine. Thanks for your thoughts and I am sure Vetspet will have a helpful comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

No problem if the engine is vertical.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default Leave It Up

Water should of drained out or dried. (Good)

Chances the on the lower unit sealed leaked and water go into water into the lower unit. (Slim chance)

Sounds like the lower unit is above open water if that is the case doubt it will freeze hard enough in a short period to do any damage to the lower unit even if it did have water in it because of a bad seal.

If it were me wouldn't worry about it. Leave it up.

But if you put it into the water to start the engine when you take it out. Let it sit in the water for five minutes or so. That way the impellar on the water pump will warm to the water temperature and be free willing just in case it froze to the plate. Just a precaution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdoc55 View Post
Here in Northwest Indiana, I usually can keep the pontoon boat on the lift until Thanksgiving. Well ... the pontoon boat is up in the air, on the lift with the canopy still on the frame above the boat and the engine is hanging vertical in the completely down position. So, it is supposed to be 5 degrees tonight. It is a 40 hp 4 stroke mercury and I am thinking it is probably just fine in that position. Do you think I should lower the whole boat/lift so the lower unit is in the lake or as long as it is out of the water and the engine is vertical, it should have no water in the lower unit. Next week, it is supposed to be in the 30's so I will put it away in the garage at that point. I was just wondering but hoping as long as the lower unit is drained, the engine should be fine. Thanks for your thoughts and I am sure Vetspet will have a helpful comment.