Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stainless Steel Prop. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Minnow

Default Stainless Steel Prop.

I presently have a 1850 Lund TYEE w/175 hp, 2001 OB Johnson motor. I would like to change it to a SS prop. as it has an aluminium prop right now. I'm running at 5500 rpm and getting approx. 42-44 mph it feels like it wants to give me more but it sounds like it's slipping. I do have prop burn so I think it could possibly be the hub but not sure. I would like to be more educated in my choice as it is an expensive decision on my part. The part for the prop on my motor is #763468-14.5X19 is this the right prop for this motor I purchased the boat and motor used so I don't know. Would someone please give me some SOLID advice I would really appreciate if someone could educate me and not lead me down the creek if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Avro,
Since you are only turning 5500 rpm, you likely are in the right ball park for pitch.

I would suggest that you go to a prop shop or dealer who can do a try before buying deal on a prop.

There are lots of good choices in props for this motor in both aluminum as well as stainless steel. Normally, with this much power on this size boat, it will be to your advantage to go with a good stainless steel prop.

I would be quite surprised if you were not able to be pushing the high 40s or low 50s with the right prop, right trim, and right motor mounting position.

Good luck
REW
Old 07-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

p.s.
You might actually go to your dealer and pick up the identical aluminum prop and give it a try. You mention prop burn or hub slip.

It would be nice to know that if you had a new prop of the same size, where your engine speed and boats performance would be.

This would be a good starting point - and then go from there.

Folks may tell you to use a stainless prop, and I will be the first to do the same thing. But, as long as you don't hit anything with an aluminum prop - an aluminum prop can be used very well to get you into the correct overall ball park for the right size, pitch and diameter.

Then, you can start looking at overall performance with different stainless props, if that is important to you.

The one thing that is certain, if you do much boating and happen to have low speed bottom strikes, the stainless prop will give you many times better durability compared to an aluminum prop.

Good boating.

REW