Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 1860 Angler Motor Selection - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Minnow

Default Ranger 1860 Angler Motor Selection

I have finally decided to down size boats this year and leaning towards a Ranger 1860 Angler. I would like to get some feedback/opinions regarding motor selection for this boat. At this point I'm leaning towards the 150 Verado although I have a few concerns with that configuration.

Just from what I have seen there doesn't seem to be a lot of Anglers/Reattas with the Verado. Most of them have either the Yamaha F150 or the Evinrude. I'm assuming this is due to the price point but I'm also wondering if there might be weight issues putting the Verado on the Angler. According to the dry weight specifications from Yamaha and Mercury there is about a 35 lbs difference between the two and I'm also considering a kicker although that may not be necessary with the Verado.

One other option that I'm considering is the Optimax Pro XS 175. With the Yamaha's on my last two rigs I haven't had to deal with the noise, fumes or oil 2 stroke oil. I'm sure from a pure performance perspective that this would be the way to go but I think I got spoiled with the Yamaha's. Has anyone had a chance to run this motor and if so hpw loud is it compared to a four stroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Wallhanger

My F150 Yamaha 1860 outruns a neighbors 175 vrod 1850. But the Vrod is better out of the hole. Personally I prefer to not deal with the external power steering pump, the secondary batter requirements and all that associated with the Vrod. My neighbor said he would have gotten a 2 stroke or any other 4 stroke if he had known he needed an extra battery taking up valuable storage space just to be able to run his remote kicker.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Keeper

I ordered my Verado without power steering, I just have hydraulic steering and am very happy with it. You don't need the 2nd battery if you don't have power steering. I can't say enough good thing's about the Verado, great hole shot, great top end. Plus digital shift and throttle and smart craft gauge's. My 175 is on an 18' Lund and it is less than 4 second's to get up on plane and will run 52 - 54.5 depending on the load. I just saw a post on here the other day from a guy with a 175 Verado on an 1860 Angler that was running 54 - 55 top end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

Get a tiller kicker and you don't have to worry about that option!!! I don't think 35 lbs. is a big deal. It is a pretty good size boat. I run a T8 with my etec and you don't notice the difference with a kicker. If you are use to the 4 stroke, the Verado compensates for the inherent lack of low end in the four stroke line.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Slot Fish

I think price is the biggest detractor. I priced out an 1860 with a F150 and a 175 Verado. The 175 was about $2k more. I ended up with an F150 and a T8 - a much better setup in my opinion.

The Verado is a great motor - no doubt about it - and was high on my list (which was ALL 4 strokes), but I just couldn't get past the cost/benefit ratio. Couple that with the famed reliability of the F150, and it was an easy choice to make.

I don't think weight is an issue, and honestly, if you are going to get a Verado, get the 175 (and a kicker if need be). I think it's less about the weight and more about the stress the power of the motor puts on the transom. There are some 200HP motors that weight less than the 150/175 (2 stroke / 4 stroke).

Good Luck with your decision. It's a great boat - I love mine!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameoba View Post
I think price is the biggest detractor. I priced out an 1860 with a F150 and a 175 Verado. The 175 was about $2k more. I ended up with an F150 and a T8 - a much better setup in my opinion.

The Verado is a great motor - no doubt about it - and was high on my list (which was ALL 4 strokes), but I just couldn't get past the cost/benefit ratio. Couple that with the famed reliability of the F150, and it was an easy choice to make.

I don't think weight is an issue, and honestly, if you are going to get a Verado, get the 175 (and a kicker if need be). I think it's less about the weight and more about the stress the power of the motor puts on the transom. There are some 200HP motors that weight less than the 150/175 (2 stroke / 4 stroke).

Good Luck with your decision. It's a great boat - I love mine!
I assume a 150 Verado would have been much close in price to the F150 than a 175. In any case it sounds like you have a nice rig.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

Default pro XS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB View Post
I have finally decided to down size boats this year and leaning towards a Ranger 1860 Angler. I would like to get some feedback/opinions regarding motor selection for this boat. At this point I'm leaning towards the 150 Verado although I have a few concerns with that configuration.

Just from what I have seen there doesn't seem to be a lot of Anglers/Reattas with the Verado. Most of them have either the Yamaha F150 or the Evinrude. I'm assuming this is due to the price point but I'm also wondering if there might be weight issues putting the Verado on the Angler. According to the dry weight specifications from Yamaha and Mercury there is about a 35 lbs difference between the two and I'm also considering a kicker although that may not be necessary with the Verado.

One other option that I'm considering is the Optimax Pro XS 175. With the Yamaha's on my last two rigs I haven't had to deal with the noise, fumes or oil 2 stroke oil. I'm sure from a pure performance perspective that this would be the way to go but I think I got spoiled with the Yamaha's. Has anyone had a chance to run this motor and if so hpw loud is it compared to a four stroke
the 175 pro makes some noise and is great on fuel but you need to buy oil so that is a wash as for the smell 4 strokes smell too and they smell alot like my lawn mower not the sweet opti oil so to me that is a wash but for performance and weight go with the pro xs
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

Unless you are going to fish all day on your kicker AND trolling motor and never start your VROD, you do not need a second battery. If you use a power steering isolator and a jump box (and wire them correctly) you will be good to go.

If I had a choice I would go 175 vrod.

-Eli