Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone using SPRO Split Snaps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Minnow

Lightbulb Anyone using SPRO Split Snaps

I'm trying to find out if anyone has any experience using SPRO Split Snaps when fishing for Musky. Thought I could post a picture here but I haven't got that figured out yet so here is a URL where you can take a look. http://www.spro.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=261
SPRO Split Snaps are a modified split ring used to attach lures and/or leaders to your fishing line. They are stainless steel construction and innovative design allows me to slip lures on or off the Split Snap without a split ring pliers. Sizes: Range from #1-10lb rated, #2-25lb rated, #3-45lb rated, #4-90lb rated, #5 125lb rated. I currently use the #2 & #3 on fluorocarbon leaders fishing for Speckled Sea Trout & Redfish where I live in Florida. Seems to me that a Split Snap #5 would easily replace any type of an interlocking snap on the end of a fluoro or wire leader. They pull very nicely in the center line, don't catch as much weed as most snaps, are definitely smaller than snaps, and are virally indestructible. I'm planning on fishing in Minaki, Ontario in June and plan to make Titanium single stand leaders with a BB swivel on one end and the Split Snap on the other. Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Keeper

I have never tried them nor, will I. I have had snaps come apart to many times to count. I prefer a good split ring on just about everything I throw now. I work too hard at catching a big fish to lose it due to an equipment failure.
101 Terrova W/I-Link
Humminbird 1198 (console)
Humminbird 998 (bow)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky101 View Post
I have never tried them nor, will I. I have had snaps come apart to many times to count. I prefer a good split ring on just about everything I throw now. I work too hard at catching a big fish to lose it due to an equipment failure.
That is fine, but did you notice that these are modified split rings and not snaps? I'm not trying to sell you anything here, just trying to get opinion based on your experience. When you say you prefer a good split ring on just about everything you throw I'd say that I agree with you. I have had snaps come apart also and that is why I don't like them either. Split Snaps are a snap in name only and as I said before they are really a modified split ring. I do know that it is a heck-of-alot easier to swap out a lure using a Split Snap than it is for a regular split ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDug View Post
That is fine, but did you notice that these are modified split rings and not snaps? I'm not trying to sell you anything here, just trying to get opinion based on your experience. When you say you prefer a good split ring on just about everything you throw I'd say that I agree with you. I have had snaps come apart also and that is why I don't like them either. Split Snaps are a snap in name only and as I said before they are really a modified split ring. I do know that it is a heck-of-alot easier to swap out a lure using a Split Snap than it is for a regular split ring.
You asked for opinions. I gave mine. I won't use them. But hey, knock yourself out!
101 Terrova W/I-Link
Humminbird 1198 (console)
Humminbird 998 (bow)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDug View Post
I do know that it is a heck-of-alot easier to swap out a lure using a Split Snap than it is for a regular split ring.
It only takes a couple seconds to swap out a lure with a split ring and pliers. Considering I typically don't throw more than a handful of lures on one rod in a day anyway, there's zero benefit to snaps for me.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

It appears the heavist of these is only rated to 125LBS...no way I would go that light...I use say loks and spolits rings with little no issue so no need to change; especiallygiven the strength of these...
Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
It appears the heavist of these is only rated to 125LBS...no way I would go that light...I use say loks and spolits rings with little no issue so no need to change; especiallygiven the strength of these...
Just curious, if 125# is light to you, what are you using??

I'm a little hesitant about attaching a $25+ lure or catching the fish of a life time with unproven terminal tackle when there's stuff that already works for me, I tend to use lighter 7 strand leaders with a snap ball bearing swivel on one end and a ball bearing swivel on the other.

On the other hand, if it works, 125# would be fine for me, as I run only 60# test line.

Not sure in my case I'd be gaining anything though.

Always good to see new products though, thanks.

Al
Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

WHen making musky leaders I use 130(bucktail)-200(Big Rubber) LBS Flurocarbon tied to SPRO Solid Ring Swivels that are rated to 300 LBS. Considering a boat side strike from a big fish can straighten out a 7/0 hook (been victem of this more than once) I prefer to go heavy to minimize any issues with big fish.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Minnow

Doc,

To answer your question. I have used them and have caught fish while using them. I tried them out for a friend that works with SPRO. In a quick word while the concept is good. In practice they did not perform the way I think they wanted. Had one completely fail on a fish as it went in the net on Madison. But my biggest complaint would be the way baits would work their way back through the snap. The concept I loved but it needs work.

Tags
leader , snap swivel , terminal tackle