Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
PWT Out of Business - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

The value of PWT is in it's name recognition and assets. Trailers, stages, weighing equipment ect.

Never underestimate the value of a name for marketing value. (Except of course Enron might not be so good.) The anglers and sponsors both know PWT will cease under present ownership. The general public however will not. So, yes the name "PWT" does still have marketing value.

Downside is it's hard to sell a name when the buyers know that it will cease to exist soon. Best case senerio is Intermedia can lease the name for a low dollar figure per year. Worst case is Intermedia puts a high value on the name and it sits dorment.

Time will tell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy View Post
The value of PWT is in it's name recognition and assets. Trailers, stages, weighing equipment ect.

Never underestimate the value of a name for marketing value. (Except of course Enron might not be so good.) The anglers and sponsors both know PWT will cease under present ownership. The general public however will not. So, yes the name "PWT" does still have marketing value.

Downside is it's hard to sell a name when the buyers know that it will cease to exist soon. Best case senerio is Intermedia can lease the name for a low dollar figure per year. Worst case is Intermedia puts a high value on the name and it sits dorment.

Time will tell.
I think Dutchboy here has hit the nail on the head. I don't know all of the members of AIM, but enough of them to know that there are plenty of past PWT tourney winners, season champs, AOYs etc, etc. A lot of them use the "Past PWT Champ" to market themselves. With the "PWT" gone, some intrinsic value of that marketing is gone too. For example, I've seen P/K I believe marketing their rods in the BPS catalog, usually accompanied by their pictures - with a tagline mentioning the PWT. Without a PWT around, that tagline now has less meaning and less value.

I think that AIM is wise to closely look at what is available at PWT. I'm not so sure that it wasn't simply failure of management to adapt that killed off PWT, or as another has written - simply a "pencil-pusher" type decision somewhere at corporate. I would think that a renewed focus on the PWT brand, with perhaps a new and improved business strategy might make this a worthwhile cause. The PWT still has some weight with companies as well....it is a proven "brand" that makes it easier for the marketing folks to propose to the guys making the $$$ decisions, versus a new and unknown brand.

As far as the assets that PWT has....I tend to think that they are- metaphorically speaking - "nickel and dime" stuff. The trailer, banners, scale...that stuff is pretty well used up from my observations. AIM would be better off starting from scratch. However, the name Professional Walleye Trail does have some value. I tend to think that AIM is in a good bargaining position to buy those rights. The longer that name sits on the shelf, the less it will be worth. Intermedia should know that.

Having said all of this however, AIM needs to make a decision quickly. With that name being out on the market, there is no reason FLW couldn't pick it up and either use it - or worse yet - retire it. Business like this is cut throat, and those that run the FLW have a reputation for swallowing up others, and they have the money and ability to do just that.

I do though, think that the folks at AIM are not wise to talk to "media" such as walleyfan (owned by Intermedia anyway, right?) about possible interest. These things are best kept in the negotiating room, and not on the internet.

Last edited by mrbreeze; 08-07-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Slot Fish

I think it would be a great move for AIM to buy the PWT. Especially since Intermedia showed their hand and made the announcement this early. It decreases its purchase price but not the value of its name. The examples of successful buyouts in the fishing industry a numerous. YarCraft is a great example. YarCraft had a few issues when they were being made in Michigan, they were bought by Norlen, moved to Wisconsin, changed managment, established a new business structure and goals, and now they are a very high quality boat manufacturer that has seen growth in the industry. The same could easily be true for AIM and the PWT. New owners, with new goals, new marketing and business plans, and in the end a new product. AIM would be buying the name and the hardware, trucks, scales, etc. They aren't held to the previous owner's business plan. I like the sound of "The PWT, presented by AIM."

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Cowgirl

Why has the PWT not posted this on their own site? Like so many other things. I guess thats why they are Done.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
bradley894

Default can you smell what your stepping in?

ok so AIM will save the walleye world? what ten guys or so are going in buisness togather? or 5 or who knows how many. there going to grab the pwt and do what with it.. for years in fisherman magazine was paid all the advertizing dollars generated by sponsors advertizing in the walleye insider.. or what ever media group owned them.. all the articles written for nothing by experianced pwt anglers and the tournament coverage is what sold that publication and generated something that was attractive for a fishing industry manufacturer to spend money there. very little if any money spent by berkly or mercury or lund or any other company spending a lot of money for a full page add ever got back to one of the anglers writing a story or fishing tip! the major sponsorship support from major manufacturers in the fishing industry(boats and motors) was turned into cash to run the expenses of the pwt trail . those days are over and the anglers always supported themselves and fished with and for there OWN money ! WAKE up !!!!! though i havent seen the buisness plan of any group of anglers looking to start there own cercuit i would guess it would be this...... the end of the year profits (if any) will be going into the pockets of a select few! the major sponsors money will be goin into the pockets of a select few, and 99% of the money advertized on a web sight or magazine will still be going to support a select few (thats if there is money to be made) NOW LOOK, instead of a media group of stock holders taking what little money is avialable you have a new group. who also can influence who and how sponsor money can be divided up,,, THE ONLY WAY A GOOD PRO CERCUIT CAN BE FORMED IS AS A NOT FOR PROFFIT ORGANIZATION!!!!! THE MONEY GENERATED IN THIS ORGANIZATION SHOULD BE USED TO COVER THE EXPENSES FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR AND THE REST SHOULD BE PAID OUT TO THE ANGLERS IN THE FORM OR TOURNAMENT PAYOUT ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANY MAGAZINE OR MEDIA COVERAGE SHOULD ALSO BE FULLY OWNED BY THE ORGANIZATION WITH THE MONEY GENERATED FROM THE ANGLERS WRITING AND TV COVERAGE BEINGING SPENT TO SUPPORT THE CERCUIT AND PAYOUT! THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT! IF YOU WANT AN ANGLER OWNED CERCUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT BUT THE PAYOUTS WHOULD GO UP AND THE ORGANIZATION WOULD BE SOUND ,, YOU NEED MEMBERSHIPS AVAILABLE TO ALL LIKE THE NPAA OR B.A.S.S. AND GIVE THE AVERAGE JOE MEMBER A TRUE INSIDER PUBLICATION! we will see what happens but im afraid if something of a walleye religion with church members doesnt get formed your going to have the same old same old.. anglers fishing with there own money and sponsorship money being turned into cash for a select few! im afraid it will be nothing but the same! but then agian who knows what AIM has cooking , i listed this plan last year on here somewhere... i hope somone took notes!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
bradley894

Default oh ya one more thing

oh ya ONE more thing... or two.. I do hope AIM has the right intentions with there plan and it does come togather!!!!! AND I DO HOPE WHO EVER STARTS A NEW CERCUIT THAT THEY DO BUY THE PWT NAME AND KEEP IT GOING! THE PROFECIONAL WALLEYE TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE IS A LOT TO THE NAME! AND I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS , ITS WORTH SOMETHING ! IN MY EYES. I WISH I HAD THE STONES AND TIME TO TAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS ON.. I WOULD LOVE TO BUILD SOMETHING THAT ANGLERS OF ALL AGES WOULD NOT ONLY DREAM OF FISHING BUT COULD ALSO MAKE A GOOD LIVING, NOT JUST A COUPLE HAND FULLS OF GUYS AT THE TOP , IM TALKING ABOUT A COUPLE HUNDREAD! AND THEN A BUNCH MORE IN THE TOURNAMENT SUPPORT AND MEDIA END OF IT.. ALONG WITH A GOOD STEP LADDER OF QUALIFIERS FOR THE GUYS JUST GETTING STARTED AND CHASING THERE DREAM... ALONG WITH A FULL BLOWN US OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP ANYONE CAN QUALIFY FOR ... I CAN DREAM CANT I... LIKE I SAID WISH I HAD THE $$$ AND THE STONES TO BUILD IT.... THEY WOULD COME
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 AM
CEDARSAC

Default PWT Survival

Will the PWT be viable in the future. Yes it will, though not without media coverage and support. The PWT was never intended to be a profit generator of the IN-Fisherman. Instead a means to source new writers and information channels for the magizines, videos etc. Before the PWT In-Fisherman had few writers or source correspondents. Without the PWT and new individuals coming into the walleye world the magazine would of been stale and lack luster perhaps even faded away. Thanks to those early years of competive angling the In-Fisherman could thrive. Also we must recognize the forward thinking of Lindners who say the PWT for what it was a feeder conduit for their much mmore profitable print and video mediums. The PWT has alot of name recognition and some value but as I mentioned earlier,strong media ties will make the difference if it sinks or swims. Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 07:01 AM
gutterball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley894 View Post
,, YOU NEED MEMBERSHIPS AVAILABLE TO ALL LIKE THE NPAA OR B.A.S.S. AND GIVE THE AVERAGE JOE MEMBER A TRUE INSIDER PUBLICATION! we will see what !
hey sparky take it easy. They are following the model of BASS and the PBR, both very sucessful ventures. There are a lot more than 5 people bought into this. And if i had to bet i woul dbet that they will have a KNOW magazine covering the tour from it's inception. So just tka e deep breath, sit back, relax, strap it down, and watch the whole thing unfold
Old 08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
bradley894

Thumbs up ok ok i have taken a deep breath

ok , ok ,, you are right, maybe im just a bit distraught , the pwt has been around for a long time and yes the lindners were great pioneers ( good people and still are)and to all who worked hard over ALL of the years i thank you!!!!!!!!!! i guess this woulnt be such an emotional issue if your hard work wouldnt be missed . i guess thats the real root of my rants. as a spectator and as a friend of a hand full of participants over the years it just saddens me. hey times change i guess,, this is not an attack on how things were run or handled. i still can check the live leaderboards for the mwc and flw but without the pwt there will be something missing. change is good sometimes,,, its something how over the years we get all wound up about the little stuff... worried about the pebble in our shoe , and miss out on the big picture that sometimes a change for the better may have to start with a new seed not just more plant food to servive the next generation. good luck to those trying to put togather the next generation of walleye tournaments and one things for sure , Big or small at first you will have fans from the start. im still about 4 years from getting my shot at the big shooter game. i just hope some of the old faces are still playing ball. i dont care if they cant hit the ball as far just want the chance to join the game where ever that may be. remember it still just a dream for 99.9% of the folks following the game, a select few many on this sight are players in the game at this time... ill renue my walleye insider subscription for another year , we will see about the content...and next year, but ill miss the results and the photo,s and the pwt coverage. there is nothing like turning the pages of a magazin in the off season, reading something on-line is just not the same... tv also . nothing like the intence music in the bacground of tournament coverage as im glued to my chair.. even though i already know the outcome it is still something i woulnt miss. ok now off to write a letter to the green bay packer organization , appologizing for the one i wrote about kicking Bret out of town, MAN i fear change sometimes... oh well nothing thats anygood lasts forever it seems, Sparky