Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Age of tires and blowout - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Age of tires and blowout

I had a note to replace all tires at the end of this fishing season. On my way hope from a trip down south, blowout happen. No one was hurt and all ended up fine. The tires looked brand new, two on trailer and the spare. Tire pressure was correct, checked them cold and added air. I will never go more than 4 years again. Just an old timers advice to all. Again was lucky the trailer never swerved not did I lose any type of control. One last comment you can check the date on the tires to make sure when produced. I talked to young fisherman at ramp other day, he just replaced his tires with brand new ones. I told him to check the date, he said they are over a year old.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

What was the manufacturing date printed on each tire?

I do agree that tires need to be changed as a result of age, as well as a result of weather checking and or tread wear or obvious internal damage.

Be safe
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
What was the manufacturing date printed on each tire?

I do agree that tires need to be changed as a result of age, as well as a result of weather checking and or tread wear or obvious internal damage.

Be safe
I used purchase date, of Nov. 12, at the time did not know of date on tires, which was 6-11, which meant close to 6 yrs old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Wallhanger

The Carlise's on my trailer(4.80X12) have well over 4000 miles on them, mostly high speed interstate. Purchased them 2 years ago. Most likely will replace them this fall before heading back up to TN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1243.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	258225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1244.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	258233  
Old 05-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
The Carlise's on my trailer(4.80X12) have well over 4000 miles on them, mostly high speed interstate. Purchased them 2 years ago. Most likely will replace them this fall before heading back up to TN
Thanks for your input, but its the age not the mileage that caused my blowout.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Keeper

I assume you have a reata on a single axle trailer?

I have the angler on a single axle trailer. I had a blowout also, tread separated from tire. Never had a blowout before in many years with other boats. My believe is the reata/angler are very heave for the single axle trailer and results in harder application for the tires they result in more opportunity for a failure. My guess is with the boat all the gear and some extra weight when going on longer vacation I'm right at the capacity where most other boat/trailers I owned I was no where near capacity of the tires.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I agree 100% that if a tire is loaded at 50% of its maximum load rating, it will be much less likely to have a blow out - even as it gets older compared to a tire that is loaded to 98% of its maximum load rating

If there is one thing that you want to do to prolong the useful life of your tire and that is to put a tire on your trailer that gives you a larger safety margin of load compared to the max load rating marked on the tire.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Keeper

How many people rotate their spare tire onto the trailer? If age is that big of a concern on a boat trailer stored indoors, I'm thinking it might be worth getting some use out of my spare before scrapping it due to age. I put at least a few thousand miles on my trailer every year so they very well could wear out before age gets them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonbank View Post
How many people rotate their spare tire onto the trailer? If age is that big of a concern on a boat trailer stored indoors, I'm thinking it might be worth getting some use out of my spare before scrapping it due to age. I put at least a few thousand miles on my trailer every year so they very well could wear out before age gets them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I rotated my 4 year old spare into the mix this year. I replaced the one tire that looked (very subjective here) more worn than the others, not that any looked that worn. I figure, like you said, I might as well get use out of it before I scrap them all in a couple years.

Marty
Old 05-17-2017, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

It simply does not make any sense to me that a tire is going to fail by itself by just sitting on a cold concrete floor.

Yes, the tire will fail due to age, but I don't believe that it has anything to do with the tires being turned over a few times during periods of storage.

Good luck