Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Revo Toro/Winch 4.6 or 5.4? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Slot Fish

Default Revo Toro/Winch 4.6 or 5.4?

I am just getting rigged up for occasional Muskie Fishing and am looking @ the Revo Toro Winch 4.6 or the Revo toro 5.4. What are the advantages of either reel? would oneor the other be a better all around choice? Ease of use a Big Part of the decdision, 1st baitcaster.

I appreciate your input
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Keeper

The Winch is your choice for heavy baits and hard pulling baits like double tens. I also use mine for slow rolling bucktails. The faster reel is a better all around choice for throwing anything under 2 ounces.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Keeper

get the 5.4 if you can find one....may have to look on buy/sell boards or ebay as they took that model out of their line-up to go with higher gear and lower gear ratios instead of 3 different versions.

for occasional use, the 5.4 will serve you well and allow you some speed for smaller baits.

80# test braided line fully spooled with some mono backing and you will be all set.
Morson, Ontario, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

Justin, my son just booked with you for August. I have not done any Musky fishing. I live in Arkansas now. I fish for Walleyes, Stripers, and Crappie down here. I retired from the Chicago area. What would you suggest for a rod and reel for Musky fishing? Not too expensive, but will get the job done.

I do have an Abu Garcia C4 that is almost brand new. Would that work OK?

I would still like your suggestion for a reel though!

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Keeper

Default rod, reel

A starter set-up should run you about 100 each for rod and reel. If you plan to use them a week a year at best, then you can get by with a starter set up without too many issues in most cases.

your C4 should be fine for a week's use. Unless it's just a year or two old, I would have it cleaned, lubed etc before your trip. It may be like brand new, but it's been sitting awhile, a cleaning would be a good idea to ensure it's all set to go.

You'll want some mono backing and 80 pound braid packed good and tight right to the to of the spool. I prefer spider wire ultra cast invisibraid.

gander mountain makes a reasonable start rod. I used them for a couple of seasons just starting yout. You should be able to get a Guide Series IM8 in 7-6 or 8 foot length. They will handle a week a year without any trouble and allow you to throw a variety of lures.

If i was purchasing a reel right now, I'd go with a C3 6500 for a starter set up (around $100.) Moving up in quality will take you into the $200-$300 range.

If you want/need more specific info or want to go higher end, let me know and we'll get you some more options to consider.

We'll look forward to your visit in August and getting you some LOTW muskies!
Morson, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by J-Man; 01-22-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks Justin!
Is there any kind of top water bite the middle of August?
Best baits for that time of the year?
Not familiar with LOTW, what kind of water clarity and depth is at your end of the lake?

Bob