Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Outfished - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 03-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Minnow

Default Outfished

I'm getting ready to go on a season opener with some old college buddies. Last time we went out I got outfished and want to avoid a similar fate this year. We'll be fishing below Ft Randall in SD. We generally use a jig and a minnow on the bottom, but I don't seem to pick up the bite as well as my buddies. Any advice to keep me out of last place in our boat would be greatly appreciated.

4th out of 4
Old 03-08-2002, 07:56 PM
Minnow

Default RE: Outfished

Invest in a good quality rod!! Using fire line helped me a lot. I use as light of line as possible.
Charter Member

Could it be that you're using too heavy of a jig? Go as light as you can and still keep it vertical. Try using Fireline for a little more sensitivity. Don't let your jig lay on the bottom.
Dale Frank #251
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Slot Fish

There's no shame in being 4th out of 4. Every group needs a "net boy." Been there, done that. Maybe I should change my handle to NetBoy.

It sounds like you get as many bites as the others, correct?
Here's a checklist I use when trailing in a jig bite:

1) Cuss
2) Sharpen the hook
3) Change the size of jig, a heavy "thumper" jig can sometimes stir up those Missouri River eyes. Then again, a wee little jig is easier for them to bite. Try em both
4) Change colors
5) Attach a stinger hook
6) Still doesn't work? Cuss some more
7) Switch to a leech
8) Switch to a split shot and plain hook rig
9) Buy a better jig rod
10) Still not working? Cuss some more and blame an old war injury
11) Place your rod in a holder and hope the "dead stick" does a better job than yourself (works sometimes)
12) Give up on beating your partners, instead take pride in "NetBoy" status
Charter Member

You most likey are vertical fishing by your description. Try using a slip sinker with a 3ft. snell or longer, all the way to 10 ft. long, and use a small hook, #4 for minnows (hooked in the tail, #8 for leeches and crawlers. The short leader for the minnows, the longer leaders for the rest. 6lb. test. Maybe put a small 4mm red or green bead ahead of the hook. DON'T drag the bottem. Fish the sinker just inches off. And hold the rod STILL. And then let'em watch!
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 03-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Try switching to a longer rod and a good no stretch line like Fireline. The extra line and rod sensitivity may help you. Also you may want to use a carolina rig instead of jig and minnow. This set up is more forgiving if you miss the initial pick-up.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:58 PM
Minnow

Thanks a million, guys. I appreciate the friendly help. Our trip for this weekend got postponed due to weather, but I'll put your advice into practice as soon as I can get on the water. Thanks for helping this "netboy".
Old 03-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Save the fireline for warmer weather, or at least have a backup along with light mono in case its cold out. Those fine threads that stick out of the side of the superlines are notorious for freezing little tiny ice balls one the line while retrieval if its cold. The fish are there, Id go and practice without them.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Outfished.
Without going into anymore of the great advise all the others covered. And trust me on this one. There are (Hands men) and there are guys who should just watch the planner boards. I've taken many clients on the river who I both know and see them getting bit. They simply do not fell or react to that suttel, little perch like nip they perseve as the bottom of something else. And that second little nip you get, is the walleye spitting it back out. I use a 6' IM6 G-Loomis Rod spooled with Cabela's Rip Cord 2/10. With this rig, I brag that I can feel when a walley swims by my jig, and I can. Capt: Dan.