Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Vexilar or MarCum? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Minnow

Default RE: Vexilar or MarCum?

This year I switched from Vexilar to Marcum after getting a chance to demo one last year. The package and specs of the Marcum are much better. Either one will help you catch more fish though.

Also saw a LMS-334 in action - their seemed to be a little delay in the signal compared to the flashers. Pretty neat unit though. Not sure how it did for interference around other flashers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I have both in my store and to be honest with you guys, I don't think one will catch more fish over a season than another. They are both pretty kick butt units. While one might have a slight edge here, the other has an edge somewhere else.

I sell more vexilars than Marcums, but I think that is just a popularity thing.

<{{}}><
Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Wallhanger

Hunterguy,

You'll love it. There is no delay and you can can make adjustments to eliminate any interference with other units near you. Use the graph to get the most info. I use a 102C from the boat for hardwater.

EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Jimk

I've used them both, before I purchased my Lx3. Then last year had it upgraded to the Tc version. Marcum is the way to go. If you are considering buying a flasher then find someone or some where you can use them both. The result will be clear.

JK
Old 11-30-2006, 02:03 PM
overdalimit ul

I have a Vexlar FL-8 and my Uncle has a Marcum. I have used both and to tell the truth, if I can use his Marcum I will. If he is using it, well it is a toss up as to whether I fish blind or use the Vexlar. In my opinion the Marcum works well and the Vexlar just sorta works.
overdalimit
Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
hunterguy31

Do you get rid of the interference by adjusting the sensitivity? I can't wait for hard water to get out and play with it. It's going to be a great unit for Mille Lacs! Not too much longer - it's 18 now and a low of 0 tonight!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

>Do you get rid of the interference by adjusting the
>sensitivity? I can't wait for hard water to get out and play
>with it. It's going to be a great unit for Mille Lacs! Not
>too much longer - it's 18 now and a low of 0 tonight!

If I remember correctly; Turn the auto-sensitivity off and use manual sensitivity, somewhere in between 70 and 90 depending on depth. I run surface clarity on high. And most critical is using the noise rejection feature (I forget what it was actually called) and turn that up as high as it will go if fishing with other's. You'll fine tune it to get the best performance. I fish in over 30' with various flashers nearby and have no problems.

EJ
Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 PM
mr sunfish

i used to own a lx 3 the transducer went bad under warranty that was 4 years ago after many calls and emails i never got a response from them the store i got it from let me trade it for a fl18 i still have not heard from marcum, poor customer service, at vexilar you talk to a live person and get instant results for warranty work. marcum might be better on paper but what if crashes under warranty. dont take a chance vexilar has the best service in the industry and the fl 20 and fl 12 can be viewed at any angle,
Old 12-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Minnow

I own a vex fl-8 and only use it for walleye fishing. Personally I never had a problem reading it and it is very plain to see if a fish comes into view. I dont really think it matters whatever statistics you compare with as far as sensitivity ect. unless you are fishing in 100 fow for smelt. Both are good units but I know first hand on the service markum provides. It stinks. If you dont care about service, get whatever one you can get cheaper. If you do care about service get a vex. Either one is better then fishing blind thats no question.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Keeper

Its pretty unfair to compare an FL-8 to an LX-3 or LX-5 Marcum. The FL-8 is an awesome unit , but come on guys , lets be reasonable here !!!!

Go FL-18. The originator , not the imitator..........