Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slippery in Clam 4000T ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Wallhanger

Default Slippery in Clam 4000T ?

First portable, so going through a bit of learning curve here, yesterday we were out crappie fishing and the ice we sat the Clam on started melting and got pretty slippery, wondering if throwing a bit of sand down might be the easiest way to help that?

Looking into the cleats but would rather try something different if possible.

??

tia
al
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
First portable, so going through a bit of learning curve here, yesterday we were out crappie fishing and the ice we sat the Clam on started melting and got pretty slippery, wondering if throwing a bit of sand down might be the easiest way to help that?

Looking into the cleats but would rather try something different if possible.

??

tia
al
Throwing sand on the ice would be a good way to ruin auger blades next time you or anyone else tried to fish the same area. I don't think you will be to popular if it gets out your putting sand on the ice.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Keeper

remnant carpet, it gets wet and heavy but it works better than the rolls of stuff they sell. I had that anti slip waterproof roll out stuff and it was garbage. 3" red shag carpet remnant for me. I use a bunch of it early on to make it dark enough to spear out of too. - Cost : Free -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks, hadn't thought of auger blades.
I'll try the carpet remnants.

Al
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Do you guys leave your heaters on the floor or raise them a bit, I get a lot of water from the ice melting but wondering if I raise the buddy heater up a foot or so if that would help?

Ya'd sure think so.

Al
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Do you guys leave your heaters on the floor or raise them a bit, I get a lot of water from the ice melting but wondering if I raise the buddy heater up a foot or so if that would help?

Ya'd sure think so.

Al
I put whatever heater I'm using directly on the ice/snow, or on shanty base depending gear and people I need to fit.

On the slippery ice, set up on snow when possible. Have one guy sitting in shanty to anchor when not.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Ya'd sure think so.

Al
We always put the eater on a piece of carpet or rubber matt otherwise you will get a puddle right in front of the heater. Also for the floor I have read about a ton of guys that like the rubber snap together exercise matts that you can get on Amazon or wally world pretty darn cheep.

http://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Puzz...s=exercise+mat
Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLewellin View Post
We always put the eater on a piece of carpet or rubber matt otherwise you will get a puddle right in front of the heater. Also for the floor I have read about a ton of guys that like the rubber snap together exercise matts that you can get on Amazon or wally world pretty darn cheep.

http://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Puzz...s=exercise+mat
Thanks, the snap together stuff looks like the easiest to deal with, and ya the heater makes a nice puddle on the floor I'll put something under it.

al
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Keeper

Every time I get home with my Eskimo pop up I set it up in the heated shop to keep the fabric dry for longevity and to be able to open should the water on the aprons re-freeze when not in use. My son quickly discovered that you want the floor, or in your case the ice clean during set up/tear down or it gets all over the fabric. I use a type of plastic foam used in shipping for under my feet that also acts as an insulating barrier from the ice. Same principle when used on a metal treestand in the dead of winter.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Keeper

I know Fleet Farm carries a roll up rubber mat made specifically for hub style ice houses and flip overs. My bro has one he likes it make sure you get one that's long and wide enough. I think it was made by clam or frabil. Seen it on there web site. For my ice house I made a 3 1/2 ft. by 6ft. 1/2 in. plywood top with 1in. runners for stability. Covered it with a remnant piece of indoor carpet glued down with aluminum trim on the sides, keeps feet nice and warm. Only slippery areas are on the sides . I also use a door mat for the door ..Just some information good luck ice fishing time is running out .