Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Acadia towing 620VS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Minnow

Default Acadia towing 620VS

Anyone had experience pulling a 620 ranger with 225 etec with a GMC Acadia. Not looking to haul across state but up to 60 miles or so? Do you think it would be too heavy?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky51 View Post
Anyone had experience pulling a 620 ranger with 225 etec with a GMC Acadia. Not looking to haul across state but up to 60 miles or so? Do you think it would be too heavy?
I would have to think the Acadia is woefully underweight and to close to max towing capacity (5200# max) for towing the 620 (3470# without gear). It's not all about power but stopping ability. That's a big boat with a lot of inertia. I can imagine it would be very hard on the tranny.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-11-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Acadia towing

For three years we pulled a Rockwood 2270 pop up camper with our Acadia. GVW was 3043 and a max load of 966 on top of that. We had the tow haul package on the Acadia. No issues and handled it just fine. Is the boat much bigger than that? The Acadia is built with the larger brake diameter.

I don't know how much more I would have put behind that vehicle.

After checking your post the boat is not that much bigger. Tranny and brakes were not the problem on ours, it was the struts. Nice rig though!

Last edited by sidfish; 03-11-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: American Association of Unemployed English Majors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

The braking should not be a problem if the trailer brakes are working correctly. With well working trailer brakes, there should be very little added braking load on the tow vehicle.

i.e. the trailer brakes should be sized and adjusted so that the trailer brakes do a good job of stopping the trailer load without relying on the tow vehicle brakes.

Good luck
REW
Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Keeper

I don't see how it would pull a 620. I pull my 620 with my wifes yukon denali at times and that is a 6.0 liter with airbags and I would not want to pull it with anything less. JMO
Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Slot Fish

My 621 will pull my Suburban backwards down a bad ramp. 620 behind an Acadia could be ugly at the ramps.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Wallhanger

I'd go with nothing less than a full body on frame vehicle. I tend to think manufactures tend to over rate the tow ratings. My V-8 gets the same milage as many 6's towing because the 6 has too work so hard to do the job and the 8 is barely taxed.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Aca...on_and_chassis

It is hard to believe that this vehicle would have any issues at all about pulling that boat with its 5400 lb towing capacity.

Good luck
REW
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Guest_In_MN

Default Acadia towing

I tow a Tracker Tundra with an Acadia all the time, and it tows like a champ - much better than I ever thought it would when i bought it (I didn't buy it as a tow vehicle). I do have the towing package, and I don't know that I'd do it without it.

If you're smart about how you drive, and your trailer brakes are in working order (which I'd say is a must regardless of what vehicle you tow with...) I think it'll be fine. Th one thing you may have to do is adjust your hitch height...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Agree with REW, there is no reason an acadia, equiped with a towing package, can't tow that boat 60 miles on occassion. I think we are so used to having an abundance of size and power to tow that we begin thinking it's always necessary. We have traveled in Europe some (some of you may have also) and when you see the campers, boats and farm trailers they pull with their little pickups and even cars it reminds us we "overkill" a bit here in the states. Spend some time on the west coast and you'll also see some of the same thing. Good brakes on the trailer and decide you don't need to go 75 and you'll be fine.