Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wanted: Rod Builder - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 PM
Wallhanger

Default Wanted: Rod Builder

I am looking for a rod builder to lead a friend and I through a custom rod build. This will be a gift for his 50th b-day as well as to myself. I've previously built a 10wt fly rod at Coren's (Chicago) and really enjoyed the experience but not to the point of investing in it as a hobby. We're both good with our hands as far as building/crafting etc. Coren's no longer offers rod building classes other than for split bamboo fly rods. I was very disappointed. Can any of you recommend another option for this? His birthday is not until August so the builds would be some time after that. I'm guessing the rods to be either a XH Muskie rod of some sort or a walleye spinning rod perhaps for jigging. It's up to him. We're both on the NW side of Chicago but willing to travel some for this project. He also has a place in Hancock Wi. So that area is also an option. It's not that we're overly particular about our rods but much more that we'd be catching fish on a rod we've built ourselves. I don't think I need to explain. I'm sure you guys "get it" but there surely will be some personally touches included.
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Wallhanger

I'm in SE Michigan and there are a few rod builders around here. Probably too far from your area. I wish I could help.
Really good idea. My son and I each had a spinning rod built -- those rods mean something to us.
Good luck
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

http://www.mudhole.com/

I don't build rods, but I've repaired handles with products they sell. Great catalog if you get on their mailing list.

Bill Krejca here on WC builds his own and is active on here about everyday.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I'd be happy to help/give advice, but I live near Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My email is www.biggerfishbill@yahoo.com if you want to chat.

Bill
Old 02-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the responses. Bill I will reach out to you in the future. I posted this in few forums and will allow time for additional responses before doing anything.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Minnow

If you check www.mudhole.com they offer rod building classes.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Keeper

Just go on mud hole and buy a kit with everything you need and the dvd to show you what to do. Plus utube videos from mud hole help.

That is how I started out and have build 5-6 ice rods and 2 long rods. a st croix and an mhx....got an im6 crb coming to.