Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Want to take my son fall turkey hunting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Keeper

Default Want to take my son fall turkey hunting

After 30+ years of hunting the same farm, the newest owner has other plans for the property. I no longer have access to the ground. I have a 10 y.o. son who will be taking the hunter safety course in a few weeks, I'd like to take him on a fall turkey hunt. I just started looking, I would really enjoy seeing him have a chance at a bird! I looked at one place on-line $1,500 for three days(for one), kids are 1/2 price with a paying adult ($2,200-2,300 total for both of us). I'd rather take my entire family on vacation for a week if I had that type of money! Any recommendations on an operation to go to. I expect to have to pay for the experience but, not thousands of dollars. I live in Illinois & would prefer to hunt within my home state to keep expenses down. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

A good friend of mine, and his wife, have used Jason Johns many times as a fishing guide, he's scheduled to go on his first turkey hunt with him this fall. Even has his own lodge to stay in.

http://www.boneyardoutfitters.com/turkey.htm

HRG
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

WOW!
That's a lot of money to go on a turkey hunt!
It cost me about $2.25 to get mine this year. It would have cost less, but I didn't hunt the one that comes out in my back yard.
Good luck to the little guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Keeper

I don't think a guided trip is the way for me! Too rich of a game for my liking. I've taken many birds over the years with both a gun & bow, I'd like to see my son get one. Access is key! We'll be doing some driving & knocking on doors very soon.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Keeper

Default guided hunt?

Not sure what you are looking for. Want a hunt that does not cost thousands. Someone suggests 500 dollar hunt in your state and that's too much. Hunts across the Midwest are 900 to 1500, cheaper if un-guided sometimes. Only other option is public ground that requires some scouting or start knocking on doors of private owners.