Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
wheatley bullets on wednesday - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Default wheatley bullets on wednesday

Made the run from Mazurick's to Wheatley on Wednesday in my 18 footer. Weather was supposed to be 10 knots or less from the east..but...it wasn't. NE winds and waves 2 to 3' made for a long slow run but was worth it! Went to the numbers that "cadillac kid" posted, (53/17) and started putting lines out. Went 10 for 10 and got them in an hour and 15 minutes! bite was HOT! riggers down 32 to 45 feet. #1 dipsey at 50 to 60 and #3 at 80 to 110. Anything with orange in it but copper watermelon was hot as was detroit tiger till the durn paint came off. All fish were in the 6 to 8 lb range.

Hope weather cooperates so can make another run on Sunday or Monday.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Hawk Eye

Default RE: wheatley bullets on wednesday

Boatnut, nice to see them going good in Wheatley. Long run in an 18 footer, but know you've been on the lake a lot. Hope to repeat your performance this weekend.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

How long of a run is that? Would it be any closer going from Vermillion or Lorain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Pond,
If my memory serves me correctly, when I entered the waypoint it was like 35 miles to the 53/17. Probably a few miles further since "as the crow flies" took me thru middle of Kelley's so obviously had to "alter my course" :) I just looked at a paper chart and it appears it would be ABOUT the same distance from Vermillion but perhaps a few more miles from Huron, since Huron is a bit south of Vermilion. Lorain would be a bit further yet. If you can "pick your days" and get some flat seas, then it's not a bad run really. I was hoping it WOULD be flat so that I could run 25 or 30 but ended up at about 14 mph on the way there. :( Coming back was with the swells and so we could "surf" at around 20 to 24 mph. Obviously fuel capacity is a concern as you will burn more fuel if its rough. I"ve got 64 gallons so was not a concern with my 4 stroke.

Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

If my math is right thats about 20 bucks a fish with the price of gas?Just wondering, Dan
Old 07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Dan...
No...not in my boat. I had a full tank before I made the run, then today ran out to NW reef for walleyes from Catawba State Park. Ran down to "C" can on the range, then back to the ramp. Stopped outside of Bellevue on way home when I saw gas for 2.79 and filled the tank. took 31.4 gallons :) or $87 and some change. I could of used even LESS if it wasnt so rough on the way out and I could of cruised at more "optimal" speeds. Gotta love them four strokes! (140 hp. "john-zuki")
I'm as 'bout as frugal as anyone but like my buddy says, If ya gotta start worrying about how much per fish it costs ya, then you my's well stay on the porch.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Hawk Eye

Magic Marker, it's not always about "cost per fish." I fish steelies and walleyes primarily for fun, as I do more release than catch. If you just want to meat fish, stay in close to shore and catch the 2003 hatch of walleyes or perch fish. To each his own.

Under your theory, no one would go 60-70 miles off shore to fish for one marlin, and hope to get a single hookup. A long trip to fish for steelies is well worth it for even a handful of hookups, since the fish are so exciting to many of us. No packs of boats far off shore, and mercifully not much ratio chatter either. That I like a lot.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Wahoo 2

If your going to treat fishing and boating like a buisness its NOT ever going to add up!!!
I'd venture to geuss most guys could easily buy all the fish they and their families could eat for alot(probably thousands) less $$$ than they invest in line/ lures/dipsey divers/jets/rod holders/rods/reels/electronics/boats/motors/upkeep/maintenance/dockage/storage/insurance/depreciation/etc.etc..
But then how many bowlers and golfers expect a big return..At least when we fish for a "hobby" we get a few awesome meals along the way!!!!......My .02..Those steelies are worth every penny!!I'm sure of it!
When I take freinds out on my Mako and we have a great day on the water its worth every penny!!!
As I always say...The best freind an angler can have is one with a nice solid dependable boat!!!....Len
Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

if you are going to think about it that way you might as well go to the store and buy them as you dont get the point of fishing.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Wallhanger

Hi Boatnut,
Old post but having never fished the area you was in I was wondering what the depth was at the 53-17 line.

May I be fishing somewhere Tomorrow