Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pro-am tourny rule question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
sevenmmm

Default RE: Pro-am tourny rule question

Think you are a prime candidate to enter on the "Pro-side"! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
sevenmmm

Think you are a prime candidate to enter on the "Pro-side"! :-)
Old 01-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

I never said I was a "Pro want to be". I also did not say that the Co-angler should make all the calls. What I asked was why the Co-angler can't assist with suggestions should the Pro not be getting it done. In response to the reply that the Co-angler is only along for the ride, why does it cost so much for the ride????? The point I'm trying to make is alot of Co-anglers are very good. They aren't some Joe Blow who gets out once, or twice a year. In some cases they could more than likely make a huge difference in catching more fish. In addition to that they do have about 500 bucks in entry fee worth of investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

I never said I was a "Pro want to be". I also did not say that the Co-angler should make all the calls. What I asked was why the Co-angler can't assist with suggestions should the Pro not be getting it done. In response to the reply that the Co-angler is only along for the ride, why does it cost so much for the ride????? The point I'm trying to make is alot of Co-anglers are very good. They aren't some Joe Blow who gets out once, or twice a year. In some cases they could more than likely make a huge difference in catching more fish. In addition to that they do have about 500 bucks in entry fee worth of investment.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

If it's all about the Pro, why does the Pro get to count the Co-angler's poundage?? If I have a Thousand plus bucks in entry money, 30 plus on a boat, hundreds more in equipment, and I wasn't getting it done, I would be more than tickled to fish a Co-angler's spot/technique if it puts fish in the boat. Could this be a fair-play rule to keep Pro's from using the co-angler as a guide?? I'm not trying to start any Stuff, I just wondered the basis of this rule.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

If it's all about the Pro, why does the Pro get to count the Co-angler's poundage?? If I have a Thousand plus bucks in entry money, 30 plus on a boat, hundreds more in equipment, and I wasn't getting it done, I would be more than tickled to fish a Co-angler's spot/technique if it puts fish in the boat. Could this be a fair-play rule to keep Pro's from using the co-angler as a guide?? I'm not trying to start any Stuff, I just wondered the basis of this rule.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Juls_OH

The Co Angler can give as much input as he/she wants, but it better not be another pro's information. It is up to the Pro whether or not that information is utilized.

If it is found that a Co or Am gave his/her pro another pros information and that pro used the information, they will be disqualified and a very bad reputation will follow that pro where ever he/she goes from that day on. In other words, it's risky business for a pro to take advice from a Co on where to fish and what techniques to use. The Co is just a stranger getting into the boat, should the pro just trust what they have to say?

The pro usually has a game plan he/she wants to follow, that they came up with during their prefishing period. Sometimes the game plan works and sometimes it falls apart, but the pros usually stick to them once they are fishing and just try to tweak them as the days proceed. Sometimes you Hero and sometimes you Zero, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

As a Co, it is best to just work hard, communicate, and concentrate on catching fish instead of double guessing your pros decisions. They have enough pressure on their shoulders as it is.

Just my opinion....

Juls
Old 01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Juls_OH

The Co Angler can give as much input as he/she wants, but it better not be another pro's information. It is up to the Pro whether or not that information is utilized.

If it is found that a Co or Am gave his/her pro another pros information and that pro used the information, they will be disqualified and a very bad reputation will follow that pro where ever he/she goes from that day on. In other words, it's risky business for a pro to take advice from a Co on where to fish and what techniques to use. The Co is just a stranger getting into the boat, should the pro just trust what they have to say?

The pro usually has a game plan he/she wants to follow, that they came up with during their prefishing period. Sometimes the game plan works and sometimes it falls apart, but the pros usually stick to them once they are fishing and just try to tweak them as the days proceed. Sometimes you Hero and sometimes you Zero, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

As a Co, it is best to just work hard, communicate, and concentrate on catching fish instead of double guessing your pros decisions. They have enough pressure on their shoulders as it is.

Just my opinion....

Juls
Old 01-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

If...the co-angler were able to play a deciding role in the outcome of the event through info or experience he has, the event could be decided by the luck of the draw.... NOT fishing/fish finding skill by the "pro". In a bad bite...this has come into play several times in the early years where a "local" co-angler led his partner each day to the unique location/presentation to the win or top finish. NOT fair to the other pro's AND the other co's...to be beaten by the luck of the draw. I agree with this format rule and only hope it is respected by ALL.

The original and present intent with the pro-am format was and is to introduce/teach/create better and more walleye fishermen (and gals). A co-angler, over a two or more day format, getting a look at several pro's plans/philosophies/boat control etc., can either learn how or HOW NOT to do it. How the boats are rigged...good or bad...boat launching tricks...how various boats ride and more. Add the pre-fishing and atmosphere on shore before and during the event and it should be a fun time for the co-anglers as well as having a shot at winning. If this isn't good enough or the right fit....another alternative that is, should surely be considered before one enters as a co-angler.

(note....the PWT rules state no info of any kind, any time(during the event) to the pro from the co-anglers...the RCL rules just address the info a pro receives from the co-angler he/she(co-angler) got from another pro during pre-fishing or a tournament day. I think I have that all right? lol)

Good question though...hope this helps. This is the way I view things after being in the thick of it for a year or two....
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 01-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

If...the co-angler were able to play a deciding role in the outcome of the event through info or experience he has, the event could be decided by the luck of the draw.... NOT fishing/fish finding skill by the "pro". In a bad bite...this has come into play several times in the early years where a "local" co-angler led his partner each day to the unique location/presentation to the win or top finish. NOT fair to the other pro's AND the other co's...to be beaten by the luck of the draw. I agree with this format rule and only hope it is respected by ALL.

The original and present intent with the pro-am format was and is to introduce/teach/create better and more walleye fishermen (and gals). A co-angler, over a two or more day format, getting a look at several pro's plans/philosophies/boat control etc., can either learn how or HOW NOT to do it. How the boats are rigged...good or bad...boat launching tricks...how various boats ride and more. Add the pre-fishing and atmosphere on shore before and during the event and it should be a fun time for the co-anglers as well as having a shot at winning. If this isn't good enough or the right fit....another alternative that is, should surely be considered before one enters as a co-angler.

(note....the PWT rules state no info of any kind, any time(during the event) to the pro from the co-anglers...the RCL rules just address the info a pro receives from the co-angler he/she(co-angler) got from another pro during pre-fishing or a tournament day. I think I have that all right? lol)

Good question though...hope this helps. This is the way I view things after being in the thick of it for a year or two....
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#