Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking for S/SW Wisconsin Lake for Fishing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Minnow

Default Looking for S/SW Wisconsin Lake for Fishing

Like the title says I'm looking for something in SW or S Wisconsin for a decent fishing lake. Looking for something with decent panfish and some game fish. I typically went to the Chetek Chain but its a little longer than I like to drive from the Iowa/Illinois border. Trying to stay within 3 hours or so but would travel 4. The Chetek Chain used to produce pretty good with crappie but has been pretty meek the past 3 years. Also looking for a lake/town area that is conducive to younger kids as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Someone suggested Powers Lake but I'm not able find many fishing reports about the lake during the time we would be going (Mid July). Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Keeper

Lake Delavan or Lake Geneva might work for you, google the lakes and you should find the info you're looking for.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Wallhanger

Don't plan a weekend trip to Geneva from about mid June and mid September and don't plan a weekday trip from late June through Labor Day. Everyone (and their brothers) blow around the lake right outside the no wake markers gawking at the houses. Delavan is not much different. Even if you are beating the docks, you will have trouble controlling your boat. Or plan on being off the water no later than 11:00.

While they have done some stocking of 'eyes in Geneva the last few years, they are pretty much non existent. You can find them on Delavan. Note the season opens on both lakes the first weekend in May.

Nimstug

...skiers and jet skis are on the water before sunrise

Old 01-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Wallhanger

The Petenwell Flowage is pretty cool,..
Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimstug View Post
Don't plan a weekend trip to Geneva from about mid June and mid September and don't plan a weekday trip from late June through Labor Day. Everyone (and their brothers) blow around the lake right outside the no wake markers gawking at the houses. Delavan is not much different. Even if you are beating the docks, you will have trouble controlling your boat. Or plan on being off the water no later than 11:00.

While they have done some stocking of 'eyes in Geneva the last few years, they are pretty much non existent. You can find them on Delavan. Note the season opens on both lakes the first weekend in May.

Nimstug

...skiers and jet skis are on the water before sunrise
If your going to fish Geneva, the predawn bite is pretty good, I'm off by 9-10 most days. How bout the Madison chain?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Minnow

Thanks for all the info. Thinking we are going to try Geneva this July. Just checking though, can I get on pan fish this time of year, I have a 10-8-6 year olds and not sure bass fishing is going to be for all of them. At Chetek we drifted with slip bobbers and that was easy with 3 kids, can we fish gills and crappies similarly here.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Wallhanger

In a word "no". Mid summer you will be over run with huge cabin cruisers, jet skies, skiers and every other nut you can imagine.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
In a word "no". Mid summer you will be over run with huge cabin cruisers, jet skies, skiers and every other nut you can imagine.
I would have to agree with this opinion . I myself have not fished Geneva in quite a few years, but I can't imagine it's got any better. Mid season, We used to have to get on the lake pre dawn, and be off by mid morning, or fish it at night. Do that,and fishing can be outstanding.LOTS of quality fish in Geneva ! But during the day the extremely heavy recreational boat traffic and their mostly totally inconsiderate behavior can become intolerable.

It seems the rec boaters there go out of their way to annoy the fisherman. They consider US the nuisance. If you are between them and where they are going, they will just about run you over. If they want to ski where you are, they will. Also, unless you are staying at a place on the water that lets you dock your boat , you will pay to launch every day.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Keeper

It seems its that way on most big lakes. I fish the 2nd largest lake in Indiana on a regular basis and it's the same way. I'm there early morning and off the lake by late morning.