Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rapala Clackin' Series - Discontinued?!? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Slot Fish

Default Rapala Clackin' Series - Discontinued?!?

I've had success in some situations with some of the Rapala Clackin' series lures (Clackin Rap and minnow for me). Just checked their website and they appear to be discontinued. Anyone have any information? Anyone know of closeout sales?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcal View Post
I've had success in some situations with some of the Rapala Clackin' series lures (Clackin Rap and minnow for me). Just checked their website and they appear to be discontinued. Anyone have any information? Anyone know of closeout sales?

Thanks.
If being sold in the "dump bins" of Cabelas and many other tackle stores at 50-70% off is any indication of being a bad bait and being discontinued, I would think the Clackin series is going to be gone soon. I have noticed in my multi state travels the Scatter Rap billed baits are being "dumped" too. Nobody I know has had much success with them. When you see crank baits being marked down and "dumped" bigtime, you know the bait is not catching fish and fisherman are Not buying them.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackback View Post
I, I would think the Clackin series is going to be gone soon.
It is gone, listed as discontinued on the Rapala website. Generally I would agree discontinued means an ineffective bait but, in this case, I've had success with pike with these lures when the walleye fishing cools during the day.

I do agree, have not seen too many positive things on the scatter raps. Personally, haven't had a chance to fish them much.

Guess the Rattlin were too expensive for the average fishing. They were definitely pricey but would love to pick some up on 80% off sales.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

Clackin rap was supporting that whole line of baits, I have never heard of anyone doing any good with the others in the clackin series. The price was hurting them, then the introduction of the rippin rap sealed the deal. Guys were using the clackin rap as a ripping bait both in the walleye and bass sides of fishing.. Now that the rippin rap is out, at a cheaper price, I haven't seen too many people using the clackin raps. Plus I think one-knockers were sort of a fad, about 5 years ago everyone was saying to go to one-knockers, now it looks like most people are back to traditional rattles.

I'd love to find some clackin raps for 70% off!!!

Last one in stock, you better grab it!! https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...7/product.html
Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

The Rippin Rap is pretty similar and most likely cheaper to make.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
I'd love to find some clackin raps for 70% off!!!

Last one in stock, you better grab it!! https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...7/product.html
Bought many of my Clackin Raps out of the closeout bin at Gander over the last few years for 3.99 each. They were a great deal. Have lots but would like to add to the supply since they won't be available.

If I could get $29.99 each for Clackin Raps, I may decide I really don't need them!!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
It is gone, listed as discontinued on the Rapala website. Generally I would agree discontinued means an ineffective bait but, in this case, I've had success with pike with these lures when the walleye fishing cools during the day.

I do agree, have not seen too many positive things on the scatter raps. Personally, haven't had a chance to fish them much.

Guess the Rattlin were too expensive for the average fishing. They were definitely pricey but would love to pick some up on 80% off sales.
Don't think I've ever caught anything but pike on them

2013 Lund Predator 2010
2013 Mercury 225 Pro XS
112lb Terrova Ipilot Link
1198/1199
8ft Talon

1970 Lund 14 footer
1960's Evinrude 15hp
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

When they first came out I had pretty good luck with the clacking minnow trolling walleye at night. Most I bought from the bargain bins at Gander. For whatever reason I haven't used them much the last couple of years. Friends have had good luck with the scatter minnow the last couple of years. I only have a couple and have caught fish on them.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

i think its the price that did them in. that and that big stupid hook in the front. i'm gonna pay 12 bucks for a lure that has a guaranteed snag hook on it? you are high?

that being said i bought about 10 of them on clearance 2 years ago and am churning through them and i've caught a ton of walleye on them.

the smaller rap is what i use. swap out that front hook and its on.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:

Pike will hit anything. When I was Boy Scout at summer camp in the 60s, they had a contest on who could put together the best fishing bait that could catch a fish. I won it when I took my toothbrush and used multiple wraps of monofilimant and tied on 2 treble hooks and A half arsed hook-up eyelet. I CAUGHT A 24INCh PIKE IN ABOUT 20 CAsts.

YOU GUYS WANT TO BUY MY TOOTHBRUSH AT 70% OFF? JUT KIDDIN.