Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
kicker question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumalunker View Post
I wouldn't even get the troll master. Here's what I do. Set your kicker speed to a few tenths less then what you wanna run. Use the terrova to get the rest. Use the cruise controlled on your I pilot to achieve the desired speed

Same here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Minnow

I'm with Alumalunker! Also nice to have the tiller handle back there in case you get a crank stuck.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumalunker View Post
I wouldn't even get the troll master. Here's what I do. Set your kicker speed to a few tenths less then what you wanna run. Use the terrova to get the rest. Use the cruise controlled on your I pilot to achieve the desired speed
X2 on this. My past boats have had kicker with the Troll Master linked to the big motor. This one I just went with the tiller and use my Ipilot to control the turning and speed. I won't go back to the other way. Turning is much more precise and you can actually walk around the boat on calm or windy days and control it with the remote rather than being tied to the steering wheel. Nothing worse than being in a bunch of boats when it's windy out and you go back to net a fish and have to worry about running back to the steering wheel to get the boat back under control.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Keeper

I have mine linked to the main motor and controls at the helm (no tiller handle) I really like convenience of having all the controls at the helm.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM
20 foot fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big popi View Post
I have mine linked to the main motor and controls at the helm (no tiller handle) I really like convenience of having all the controls at the helm.
^^^^This power tilt/trim/electric start all from the drivers seat, can still use a troll master or I troll can still use the front mount to steer, there is plenty of room to troll from the drivers seat in that boat, good luck in your decision.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

I would get a tiller kicker. Even if you are going to use the electric motor steering I would buy the connecting rod. They are only about 35 bucks . You can use the rod as a backup for your trolling motor. Batterys start to go you can still steer with the main motor and kicker. If you do break down with the main motor do you want to sit in the back and try to steer. You might be driving one or more hours to get back. Even if you do not use the kicker for steering I would get a itroll or other remote throttle. You might use it more then you think. You also are saving money by not getting the remote controls. When I bought my last boat I just transferred my kicker motor to my new boat. That's allot easier to do with a tiller not remote controls.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Slot Fish

I use the bow mount Terrova like others have suggested. If you have Verado or any other main motor that requires a power steering pump I'd stay away from the tie-bar option to avoid running the power steering pump while your trolling.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Wallhanger

I have a different opinion than others,maybe because I am old. With a tiller you have to be standing or one knee on a seat, balancing with the boat moving up down and sideways. At the same time hopefully reeling in a fish,keeping an eye on your trolling speed,the depth of the water and all the other boats around you. I sit at the helm, I can make corrections to the ipilot or the the trollmaster or itrol. I can see my depth and contours without twisting around to see the depth finder. At the same time I can reel in and land fish without falling in the drink.It seems to be more organised for me. Bob
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I have a different opinion than others,maybe because I am old. With a tiller you have to be standing or one knee on a seat, balancing with the boat moving up down and sideways. At the same time hopefully reeling in a fish,keeping an eye on your trolling speed,the depth of the water and all the other boats around you. I sit at the helm, I can make corrections to the ipilot or the the trollmaster or itrol. I can see my depth and contours without twisting around to see the depth finder. At the same time I can reel in and land fish without falling in the drink.It seems to be more organised for me. Bob
I don't think you quite understand what the guys were suggesting here. For console boats, you get a tiller kicker. You set the kicker just shy of what speed you want to run, and tighten it down so it is just forward propulsion. Then you use your remote steer ipilot, copilot, or ipilot link and bowmount trolling motor to steer left/right. You can stand in the middle of the boat or sit at the console to watch electronics.. or fish anywhere in the boat I guess. If you are running single line and afraid of hitting other people, you simply walk back while fighting the fish and hit the kicker into neutral, then hit spotlock on your trolling motor. When you are ready to go again, you get back in your line, throw the kicker into gear, and start trolling again. With two people, one can steer with the remote while the other fights his fish.

Last edited by Kevin23; 01-11-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Slot Fish

This is personal preference. If you are going to use the kicker to backtroll or hold a position in a strong wind while jigging eyes you definitely want a tiller. This will give you quicker and more precise control. If you are using it for emergency power or to just troll I think the wheel steer would be preferred. As for steering with the trolling motor it makes no difference, whether you lock a tiller or just aim a steering wheel straight, your trolling motor will not know the difference. I do a lot of trolling on Lake Superior where it is definitely better with the steering wheel. Either way you will not regret adding the kicker. You may be surprised how much you will use it.