Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Getting a slow death rig through the weeds? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Keeper

Default Getting a slow death rig through the weeds?

I build my slow death rigs with a treble in front of the slow death hook. That treble in front really helps with increased hook up with the down side of catching more debris in the water at times than I would like. As spring slid into summer this year I had reports of the walleye in the weeds in 4-10 feet of water. I wanted to use the slow death rig, but gave up because of the treble catching the weeds. Fast forward to this afternoon. Laying in bed sick with whatever the kids have brought home I was watching a bunch of Youtube videos and came across an episode with a guy fishing Devils Lake in an area that was about 6 feet deep with 8 foot large depression areas where the weeds weren't so thick. He claimed that holding the rod and periodically sweeping the rod forward would rid a majority of the weed issues. My question is this, if I remove the treble hook would I get the same basic results? Does anyone have any experience with weeds and slow death rigs and have any suggestions to help me with this tactic? Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

When working bait through weeds, I much prefer the use of a light no snag jig.

If necessary, one can always use a bit more weight well in front of the jig to keep the jig in the fish catching zone.

For example:

http://shop.northlandtackle.com/jigs/weed-weasel/

This jig catches a lot of fish and does an excellent job of shedding weeds.

I have tried a lot of different types of open hook configurations when fishing weeds, but found that I was wasting 1/2 of my time on the water clearing weeds, that I went to the weedless jig method to increase my productive fishing time. Plus I have found that the weedless jig is really productive.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Keeper

Opus Dog,

We have been doing pretty good with weed walleyes in our home lake. Most of the time we use either a slow death rig with a butterfly blade or a two hook crawler rig with a small blade, and sometimes a spinner rig and minnow. We are finding out that when they aren't biting on the weed edges that we may need to go into the weed beds more towards shore. That's when you need to vary your weight and/or speed to skim the weed tops. The fish will come up to feed on it. Also instead of a bottom bouncer or keel sinker go with a more weedless type of sinker like a bullet weight. There's no doubt about it, a treble hook is just going to snag anything it comes in contact with. Whether you can get the same results with only a single hook or not only you can judge by trial and error, but maybe try using the standard slow death rig with just a single stinger hook. I recently ordered some Rapala Weedless shad lures. They are 2 3/4" @ 9/16 oz. and have a weedless single hook on the back not unlike a swim jig but with the weedless hook guard and a hard body. I got them on ebay from Europe as they are not yet available here, and while they are not cheap I think that they'll be just the ticket for casting to the weed walleyes. As far as trolling them, I'll have to see how they work. Good fishing, my friend.

andersaki

Last edited by andersaki; 12-30-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

I have a few Rapala Weedless Lures I'll sell you if you're interested. Let me know.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Keeper

Greetings Rew and Andersaki,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Your responses are very much appreciated. Both suggestions have given me tactics to play with this summer. Thank you, Joe
Old 01-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Keeper

Default Correction

I want to make a correction to my post #3. I said butterfly blade, I should have said smile blade. I stand corrected.

andersaki
Old 01-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Wallhanger

I have used that rig in weeds a few times. I drop down to a #4 slow death hook, and use a bullet bass sinker as weight, and about a 3 foot leader. Using a sensitive rod, you will feel the weeds if they get hung, then simply drop the rod tip and give it a quick flick of the wrist to clear it (hold on tho, you get bit quite often when you do this). You will go through more crawlers fishing in the weeds though, small panfish like to grab hold, small bass as well, and of course the weeds will knock the crawler down the hook ruining it for slow death.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Keeper

Thank you for the reply. What are your thoughts on a fake worm in place of the real worm running the slow death in the weeds? Joe
Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 AM
Wallhanger

I use GULP! Killer Crawlers when pulling slow death rigs all the time. I haven't used live crawlers for several years.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus Dog View Post
Thank you for the reply. What are your thoughts on a fake worm in place of the real worm running the slow death in the weeds? Joe
Probably the best idea. I have not tried it myself. Fishing in weeds is mostly a reaction bite anyways, I doubt they would turn their nose to a gulp crawler or sandworm pinched off.