Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova/Ram Mount - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Keeper

I'm glad we can still disagree peacefully in some places online. I got banned from a site that rhymes with Wake-Wink about 5yrs ago, and this is the 1st one that interested me enough to join another one. In hindsight, I totally deserved it.

I do see a little better where you are coming from, but I'm still not convinced.

Let's say you mount your bobble head to the end of a ruler, then tack the other end to your dashboard. Doesn't the ruler absorb some of the energy from the bumps and make it "bobble" less? Isn't the ruler doing what the TM shaft does? Adding a brace an inch from the bobble head would probably make it bobble like it was mounted to the dash again, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo307 View Post
Sometimes a picture (or 3) is worth a 1000 words
I have a flap like that sewn into my cover for where my cable to the foot pedal went through. I had a Minnkota cable steer motor on the boat before. I don't have the Trac system on my 2012 Alumacraft, so I would have to mount it to the top of the gunnel. I'll have to figure it out after the Terrova is installed.

On another note, does anyone know when Minnkota will have their rebates out?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Wallhanger

On my Terrova, before I got a Ram stabilizer, when in rough seas or roads the issue that I saw was, with all the bouncing I was concerned with the other end. My motor is attached to a QR plate which is bolted to the bow. The bouncing of an unsupported TM head at the end of a 60" shaft is greatly multiplied, putting (in my mind anyway) a lot of stress on the 4 bolts going through the bow. Of course many folks with Ulterras don't use stabilizers and seem to to do alright. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but when I buy an Ulterra, I'll probably use a stabilizer at least for trailering.

andersaki

Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Keeper

I saw one last summer at a lodge on Eagle Lake. It happened to a guide boat in pretty rough weather. He was a little shaken up, as I would be. The shaft basically turned into strands of fibers, and due to the weather, had to leave the motor hanging to bounce off the bow all the way back to the dock. It is a pain to move the collar, but I would soil myself if the TM popped over while I was cooking along on plane, or trailering. I use the collar only when in the boat, and a slack rope and the collar when trailering more than a short distance.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
I'm glad we can still disagree peacefully in some places online. I got banned from a site that rhymes with Wake-Wink about 5yrs ago, and this is the 1st one that interested me enough to join another one. In hindsight, I totally deserved it.

I do see a little better where you are coming from, but I'm still not convinced.

Let's say you mount your bobble head to the end of a ruler, then tack the other end to your dashboard. Doesn't the ruler absorb some of the energy from the bumps and make it "bobble" less? Isn't the ruler doing what the TM shaft does? Adding a brace an inch from the bobble head would probably make it bobble like it was mounted to the dash again, right?
If I am envisioning it correctly, it would. You would have to attach the ruler to the truck, the other end of the ruler to the bobble head, then have support from the HEAD of the bobble head (the moving part) to the truck to simulate what the RAM does. And in this case, the body of the bobble head might still move, but the head (the important part!) would be attached to the truck in the same way a RAM attaches your TM head to the boat.

Last edited by Kevin23; 01-06-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with Ricky.
Adding a "stabilizer is like riding in a boat with solid pedestals. Every shock is transfered to your butt.
No "stabilizer is like having air ride pedestals your but moves in relation to the hull reducing shock.

And my Terrova must be defective. Moving to collar is as simple as loosen lock nut, slide collar tighten lock nut. And I haven't seen the head bounce any more than slowly going up and down an inch or so. Maybe I drive too slow.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I will never run a trolling motor that has a long unsupported head without a support for the head to eliminate all bouncing.

I have seen trolling motors ripped off of the boat when they self extended in rough water.

I have seen trolling motor mounts ripped out of the deck of boats with non supported heads.

Whether it is better or worse for the motor - I will lock the head of the motor solidly to the boat to minimize any bounce at all of the motor.

Never have had a problem with the head supported and will continue to always support the head of the motor.

But, this is a big free world where everyone can do what they wish with their rigs. If a non supported head works for you and continues to work for you. Great.

Enjoy the new year.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

One vote for the ram mount to support the heavy head unit of my 60" terrova 80 on my Lowe fm175. I like belts and suspenders for holding my expensive treasure. I dabble with natural frequency, dynamic and static shock analysis; I conclude that the ram does no harm, but may be good. Also, cruising over chop on Lake erie with ram unattached indicates little oscillation, but I savor extra margin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Think about the head of the unit when the boat is on the trailer in the parking lot. With no ram support you apply a force with your hand to the head of the unit ( push it in a downward direction). That force is magnified by the length of the shaft to the fixed point of the shaft at the pivot point nearest the bow. It is a pretty significant point load on the shaft at that point. Now put a RAM mount under the head where you applied the force. What happens. No movement of the head and consequently no force on the shaft at the pivot point. By adding the RAM mount you have stiffened the trolling motor assembly. Thereforethere is less point stress on shaft. Now think about that flexing of the shaft when the boat is skipping along a set of waves on the water. Every up/down movement of the shaft applies a significant force on the pivot point. With the RAM mount the forces are spread over the contact areas of the RAM mount and bow clamp for the unit. Much less point stress on the motor. Hopefully that helps.

Do the RAM mount!

Marty

Last edited by Marty59; 01-07-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Wallhanger

I have never seen a trolling motor come anywhere near smacking into the hull...when running down the lake...or when trailering.

I think the market of trolling motor supports is a genius marketing move for gear geeks who just have to have at least one of everything.

The only possible use they have is to stop a trolling motor from deploying accidentally while under power...and that's a user error.

...but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong today.

Last edited by Further North; 01-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.