Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova/Ram Mount - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 01-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Wallhanger

Took my cover down to an upholstery shop and had them cut a hole right were the ram mount goes through. I use the mount for trailing mostly, if you bounce the head of the terrova around it creates alot of force on the mounting bracket and the bow were bolts on.
Terrova
Hydro Wave

Last edited by Darrenf442; 01-07-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

I called Minn Kota today to ask about adding a Ram mount. I was told that they has done extensive testing with these motors and if a support is needed it is incorporated with the motor when you buy it. They told me for sure that I don't need it with a 54" shaft.

I hope this information helps us all. Thanks for all of your input.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin08 View Post
I called Minn Kota today to ask about adding a Ram mount. I was told that they has done extensive testing with these motors and if a support is needed it is incorporated with the motor when you buy it. They told me for sure that I don't need it with a 54" shaft.

I understand and have heard this statement directly from Minn kota at a sports show. I never had supports for my trolling motors on past boats until my new Ranger 620FS. I now have a Motorguide i5 with a 60 inch shaft. Although my dealer said that it didn't need any further support, I got nervous seeing the head bounce in rough water to the point of almost hitting the top of my gunnel sometimes. The RAM ended that problem and visually it seems more solid. Admittedly sometimes a little reassurance goes a long way and in the grand scheme of things didn't cost much to feel good about seemingly protecting my investment.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

I have the 54" shaft, mine bounces and almost hits the side of the boat on rough roads. I don't typically fish in rough water, so haven't seen it move too much when running. (mine is on a quick bracket so there is some shaking/movement from that as well)

Like I said, it's not needed or Minn Kota would provide one... and I can't imagine anyone expected MK to say you need to buy a support from another company to protect our motor.

I have added a picture of what happens when you do not slide the depth collar and do not use a support. Trust me, you will not want to be sliding that collar up and down every time you pull/deploy the motor... (not my picture, picture is of Max Wilson's boat and was taken from a public facebook post).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deploy.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	237777  

Last edited by Kevin23; 01-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

Having never owned one of these types of motors, I don't understand why you have to constantly move the 'depth collar'? My maxxum is set at one depth and stays that way all of the time, except when I put my cover on the boat. Would this Ram mount somehow replace the use of the 'depth collar'?

Also the motor on that boat seems to be mounted way out in front of the nose of the boat. Is this a normal installation?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Having never owned one of these types of motors, I don't understand why you have to constantly move the 'depth collar'? My maxxum is set at one depth and stays that way all of the time, except when I put my cover on the boat. Would this Ram mount somehow replace the use of the 'depth collar'?

Also the motor on that boat seems to be mounted way out in front of the nose of the boat. Is this a normal installation?
The maxuum is a cable steer unit that mounts recessed from the bow. The Terrova electric steer mounts as shown in the picture, with an overhang. The My terrova has a 72" shaft where the head of the unit will bounce up and down or side to side depending on how rough the water. A Ram ball is fastened to the gunnel directly beneath the trolling motor head. A second Ram ball is mounted on the trolling motor shaft near the head of the unit. The connecting RAM body secures the head of the trolling motor shaft (near the head) to the gunnel so the shaft doesn't vibrate ....possibly deploying or cracking the shaft when the bow of the boat is pitching/rolling or yawing.

Marty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Presentation2.pdf (32.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:

Bassin08,

The depth collar is for those times when you are in, say shallow or rocky water. Set the collar down and the motor runs shallow to avoid obstacles. An excellent selling point for the Ulterra, with it's push button electric motor trim (height). And no, the depth collar does not replace the Ram mount, which is optional, but effective as a stabilizer.

andersaki
Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Depth collar adjusts how far down your motor is. You need to slide it down to the base of the motor when stored so it cannot accidentally deploy when you hit a wave or when you are going down the road. Its in your manual, page 28. "NOTE: Slide the Depth Collar down and secure it
against the top of the Steering Housing when stowed to secure the motor in place and prevent accidental deployment."

The locking mechanism for the terrova/PD are much different than the maxxum, which makes it possible for them to "auto deploy" when you do not want them to!

When you have the ram mount installed, you no longer need to slide the collar back and forth unless you want to adjust the depth of the trolling motor when in shallow/rough water.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Wallhanger

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Depth collar adjusts how far down your motor is. You need to slide it down to the base of the motor when stored so it cannot accidentally deploy when you hit a wave or when you are going down the road. Its in your manual, page 28. "NOTE: Slide the Depth Collar down and secure it
against the top of the Steering Housing when stowed to secure the motor in place and prevent accidental deployment."
...is why one of the first thing I did with both of my Terrovas was to install a 2nd depth collar right below the first one.

The top one was set for the depth I wanted to deploy at, the 2nd one was to slide down and lock the motor while traveling.

Best of both worlds...kept my "normal" depth setting and locked the TM down for travel.

...it is best to install the 2nd one upside down compared to the 1st one.

...I really love not having to deal with this with the Ulterra...