Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Two Lowrance HDS 7's or one HDS 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Minnow

Default Two Lowrance HDS 7's or one HDS 9

Hey guys looking for input on this I have one hds 7 gen 2 right now. Would it be better to sell that off and get a hds9 gen 3 or keep it, buy a hds gen 3 and network the two hds 7's together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzak15 View Post
Hey guys looking for input on this I have one hds 7 gen 2 right now. Would it be better to sell that off and get a hds9 gen 3 or keep it, buy a hds gen 3 and network the two hds 7's together?
Overall it depends on what your wanting to do. If it were me, I'd keep the Gen2's, put one at the bow connected to a TM ducer, then mount the new Gen3-9 and the other Gen2 at the console and network all three together. You didn't say if you already had Structure Scan, but if not, leave your existing 83/200 transom mount ducer and connect it to the Gen2 on the console, get a TotalScan ducer with the new Gen3 and connect it to the new Gen3. Networking all three units together will give you a wide variety of what you want to view where and with only one map card be able to view charts from any unit any time.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

I think he only has one gen 2 7 inch. Now I not sure because of the last sentence network two 7s after buying gen 3 9. Are you trying to mount these side by side on the dash or one dash one bow. Either way with the amount of stuff they keep adding to fishfinder s I would get the gen 3 9 inch. Unless it is to big to fit side by side with the 7. If that is what you are doing.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-06-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzak15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
I think he only has one gen 2 7 inch. Now I not sure because of the last sentence network two 7s after buying gen 3 9. Are you trying to mount these side by side on the dash or one dash one bow. Either way with the amount of stuff they keep adding to fishfinder s I would get the gen 3 9 inch. Unless it is to big to fit side by side with the 7. If that is what you are doing.
I think he's talking about buying a gen 3 HDS 7, to network with his current gen 2 HDS 7, or selling his current 7 and buying a gen 3 HDS 9.

My 2 cents is, measure the screens, and see which gives you the most viewing area, (2) 7's, or (1) 9. Having dual units you could dedicate 1 to GPS, the other to sonar, without splitting screens.

HRG
Old 01-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the quick replies and yes thats correct with what I'm asking. I have 1 hds 7 gen 2 right now and its either I add a gen 3 hds 7 right now and run the two of them side by side, or I sell the hds 7 I have right now and use a single hds 9
Old 01-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yeppers, my bad, I read it wrong! Guess that's what I get for trying to do 11 things at once, or was it 9

In any case, if you have the room, keep the 7, get the 9, network them and still have all kinds of display options.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Yeppers, my bad, I read it wrong! Guess that's what I get for trying to do 11 things at once, or was it 9

In any case, if you have the room, keep the 7, get the 9, network them and still have all kinds of display options.
I would do the same thing, gives you many options. Currently I have a Gen 2 8 networked with a Gen 3 12, its awesome.
Lowrance HDS-12 Gen 3 w/LSS-2
Lowrance Outboard Pilot
TrollMaster Pro 2
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders
Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Hands down add another 7. Having one set for gps and one for sonar is really nice. 14" vs 9" and in the event something ever did happen you have a back up unit.
NPAA #523
Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Minnow

I would vote for adding a 9. I ran single 7 forever but recently added a used 9 dedicated to mapping. Screen size increase on 9 is much more than it sounds. Rarely used the 7 for mapping due to limited screen size. 9 works great for that purpose. As others stated - having a backup is also nice with two. I wish I had done it long ago

Dan
Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

"My 2 cents is, measure the screens, and see which gives you the most viewing area, (2) 7's, or (1) 9. Having dual units you could dedicate 1 to GPS, the other to sonar, without splitting screens."

I have two gen2 HDS 7's. One for sonar and one for navigation. I like the redundancy it offers if one goes down. Just my thought process. I do like the HDS 12 touch though.... decisions, decisions.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."