Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Adding Dome Radar to Lund Boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Fisherman Ted Fisherman Ted is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 260
Default Adding Dome Radar to Lund Boat

Hey all. I fish in NW Ontario all summer long. All lake fishing in 18-20 foot Lunds. I have all the latest Humminbird electronics and toys and upgrade all the time as its a write-off (I am a lodge owner) and my wife never sees how much it costs! Anyway, I digress.....

So, my interest was stirred when HB announced their latest dome radar units a few weeks ago. These little bad boys have been touted as very light and SAFE. Unlike previous hi-powered radar domes (that you see on ocean boats) that are not great for human consumption. You really don't want that radar blasting your scalp as you fish all day. No more hair and some messed up kids.

But these little guys are touted as 'safe', whatever that means. So I asked my HB Canada representative about possibly installing a unit on a small lake boat. I don't have a tower like a flats boat in the keys, just a small 19 foot Lund. So I would need to add a mounting pole. However he said that since this thing is safe that perhaps I don't even need to mount it and could perhaps just stick it on the hull somehow.

So, here is my question for you pros: have you ever installed a RADAR DOME unit to your lake boat? If so did you mount it on pole somehow so it was above head height and safe? What do you think about taking this new HB unit and mounting it on the helm somewhere? Would it even work. Should it be mounted. I know this is not normal as the HB rep doesn't even sell mounting poles and had never heard of someone installing radar on a small boat while lake fishing. But you guys here are way above normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Fisherman Ted
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
DW DW is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,005
Default

Go to the Humminbird web page and download the installation instructions. I am impressed with their warning:

DANGER: MICROWAVE RADIATION HAZARD! The microwave energy radiated by a radar antenna is harmful to humans, especially to one’s eyes. Never look directly into an open waveguide or into the path of radiation from an enclosed antenna. Radar and other radio frequency radiation can upset cardiac pacemakers. If someone with a cardiac pacemaker suspects abnormal operation, immediately turn off the equipment and move the person away from the antenna. Turn off the radar whenever it is necessary to work on the antenna unit or on other equipment in the beam of the radar.

These units have to be mounted above your head in an unobstructed location. According to their spec, the vertical beam width is 25 degrees so you should be high enough for people at the bow and stern to stand and be below the beam. Install a radar arch.

I am amazed at the low cost of these units!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM
That Minnesota guy's Avatar
That Minnesota guy That Minnesota guy is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,203
Default

There is a guide on the Mississippi that installed one on his Lund. He fishes at night and he swears by it. If you are interested send me a PM and i'll hook you up with contact info.
__________________
Kindness is always a option.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Kevin23 Kevin23 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,391
Default

Mount it on the bow like mr klawitter did and all should be well. He claims he can see floating logs with his. He still had some hair left on his head last I saw.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Crackback Crackback is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Ted View Post
Hey all. I fish in NW Ontario all summer long. All lake fishing in 18-20 foot Lunds. I have all the latest Humminbird electronics and toys and upgrade all the time as its a write-off (I am a lodge owner) and my wife never sees how much it costs! Anyway, I digress.....

So, my interest was stirred when HB announced their latest dome radar units a few weeks ago. These little bad boys have been touted as very light and SAFE. Unlike previous hi-powered radar domes (that you see on ocean boats) that are not great for human consumption. You really don't want that radar blasting your scalp as you fish all day. No more hair and some messed up kids.

But these little guys are touted as 'safe', whatever that means. So I asked my HB Canada representative about possibly installing a unit on a small lake boat. I don't have a tower like a flats boat in the keys, just a small 19 foot Lund. So I would need to add a mounting pole. However he said that since this thing is safe that perhaps I don't even need to mount it and could perhaps just stick it on the hull somehow.

So, here is my question for you pros: have you ever installed a RADAR DOME unit to your lake boat? If so did you mount it on pole somehow so it was above head height and safe? What do you think about taking this new HB unit and mounting it on the helm somewhere? Would it even work. Should it be mounted. I know this is not normal as the HB rep doesn't even sell mounting poles and had never heard of someone installing radar on a small boat while lake fishing. But you guys here are way above normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Fisherman Ted

Why do you want to cobleinski -up your fine Lund boat? Forget about it as it will NOT look nice and you will have a possible clearance problem when trailering not to mention how your boat cover will fit and putting it in a garage with too low of a door. I wouldn't do that to my boat with your money! A radome is Not meant for open walleye type boats without a hard top and Indoor cabin cruiser configurations.

Last edited by Crackback; 01-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Fisherman Ted Fisherman Ted is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 260
Default

Because we have tons of weather systems that come in. I want to precisely track storm cells as they approach to keep me and my clients safe.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM
lakedog lakedog is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 307
Default

I think what you want is a "radar arch." I would assume you could have one custom fabricated to fit behind your high top.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Paul H Paul H is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Zanesville OH
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedog View Post
I think what you want is a "radar arch." I would assume you could have one custom fabricated to fit behind your high top.
c
Do they even show weather? I thought that they were for navigation, boats, structure, etc. I didn't think they were even "tuned" for moisture, rain, etc. I'd also think you would need a lot of elevation. Possibly of some weather use on Great Lakes or off shore.

edit


IS it this ?
http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...e/CHIRP-RADAR/

Looks like it could show weather, but with 18' height above water line on;y 24 NM. At 3-4 foot what would you get 6-10 miles... or less. Then if you have hills.

Idea sounds good, but doubt if you see much weather.

Last edited by Paul H; 01-11-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM
lakedog lakedog is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
c
Do they even show weather? I thought that they were for navigation, boats, structure, etc. I didn't think they were even "tuned" for moisture, rain, etc. I'd also think you would need a lot of elevation. Possibly of some weather use on Great Lakes or off shore.
no ... by weather I assume the op means fog (low visibility navigation), otherwise I'm not sure what he is referring to. On a large lake VHF provides ample warning so long as there are stations. A step beyond that would be something like XM satelite weather.

Lot's of toys for a walleye boat IMO ...

Furthermore, if my understanding is correct the radar needs to be mounted high to avoid obstructions within the boat. There is also the radiation issue.

Last edited by lakedog; 01-11-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Fisherman Ted Fisherman Ted is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedog View Post
no ... by weather I assume the op means fog (low visibility navigation), otherwise I'm not sure what he is referring to. On a large lake VHF provides ample warning so long as there are stations. A step beyond that would be something like XM satelite weather.

Lot's of toys for a walleye boat IMO ...

Furthermore, if my understanding is correct the radar needs to be mounted high to avoid obstructions within the boat. There is also the radiation issue.
Yes, I want to see actual cells, positioning and real time views in terms of direction etc. If this type of HB chirp radar does not work what do you recommend?

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...e/CHIRP-RADAR/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.