Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
kicker question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Slot Fish

Default kicker question

I am going to add a merc. 9.9 pro kick to my boat, a 2005 lund 1800 fisherman, not sure what is the best install so looking for opinions. it seems to me using a tiller handle extension and running it from the back would be the most convenient for fishing, but I an finding the majority are hooked to the main motor and ran from the console, the fisherman has a full windshield. I am not sure there is ample room there to be steering and running a pole, I run the electric from there as it is ipilot but the steering wheel is much more movement in a tight space at the console. Pros of that seem to be much better control as when the skag of the main motor is dropped it helps steer. The cost is over 1,000 more to run controls to the console, would a troll master replace the main throttle control or is a supplemental control? the kicker is for a back up and occasional trolling in rough water, after getting stranded 20 miles out on LOW this year I am going to have a back up. just a ton of varying opinions on the right set up. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Wallhanger

This what I used on my 5hp Merc kicker...put it in gear, set the throttle speed and steered off the console.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati..._SEQ_104602680
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1419.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	237857  
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

Do you own a terrova? If so you can use that to steer it will control the boat much better than a tie bar will. I would go with a tiller BTW
Hds 8&5
Terrova 80 ipilot

NPAA #409

Old 01-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Keeper

On my 1700 fisherman,I have tiller control. More space when forward trolling, either plugs or spinners. Also allows me to backtroll. On the 1700 I can throw a cushion on the back jump seat/livewell deck and sit ther to steer and fish. Everything is open and in front of me. If you spend time on a big body of water, be sure to have enough horsepower to push that big boat in an emergency. I have a t-8 and top speed is a little over 5 mph. For where I fish it is enough. Would not want 20 miles of rollers.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumalunker View Post
Do you own a terrova? If so you can use that to steer it will control the boat much better than a tie bar will. I would go with a tiller BTW
yes a have the terrova. tiller with a trollmaster seems to be the direction I am going,
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltona View Post
On my 1700 fisherman,I have tiller control. More space when forward trolling, either plugs or spinners. Also allows me to backtroll. On the 1700 I can throw a cushion on the back jump seat/livewell deck and sit ther to steer and fish. Everything is open and in front of me. If you spend time on a big body of water, be sure to have enough horsepower to push that big boat in an emergency. I have a t-8 and top speed is a little over 5 mph. For where I fish it is enough. Would not want 20 miles of rollers.
Ya those back jumpseats on the fisherman are near useless to me fishing, but a great safeplace for the kids to ride. I have a verado 150 and have had a few issues with the fuel system over the years getting stranded a couple times. luckily we were able to get the motor going and get back, only would run on full throttle and took a good 2 minutes of grinding the starter at wide open throttle to get it started, took us an hour or 2 to figure that out. we were at souix narrows it was rough but not the big rollers. i like that idea though of siting on top of the jump seat.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Slot Fish

Default iTroll vs. Trollmaster

Agree with your conclusion to steer with your electric - I'm really happy to have learned that from the members here - it's much easier and more precise. Not going to knock trollmaster as I haven't owned one but I'd recommend you take a serious look at the iTroll before you drop the bucks on a trollmaster. You can search the forums here for some discussion on the differences.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Mallard View Post
Agree with your conclusion to steer with your electric - I'm really happy to have learned that from the members here - it's much easier and more precise. Not going to knock trollmaster as I haven't owned one but I'd recommend you take a serious look at the iTroll before you drop the bucks on a trollmaster. You can search the forums here for some discussion on the differences.
thanks in will
Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thCrowWing View Post
yes a have the terrova. tiller with a trollmaster seems to be the direction I am going,
That is what i would do, and lock down the steering. Point it forward and use your TM to steer the boat.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thCrowWing View Post
I wouldn't even get the troll master. Here's what I do. Set your kicker speed to a few tenths less then what you wanna run. Use the terrova to get the rest. Use the cruise controlled on your I pilot to achieve the desired speed
Hds 8&5
Terrova 80 ipilot

NPAA #409