Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can Canadian resorts refuse Canadian funds for payment? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman35 View Post
I just called a random lodge on Lac Seul whose website advertises in USD. Explained that I'm from Quebec and wondering if I'd have to get my money exchanged to pay for a trip there.

The answer totally shocked me...He said that for his Canadian clients (of which he gets very few) he charges the same rate in Canadian that you guys pay in US..."For my fellow countrymen".

As an American I'd never be able to enjoy my vacation knowing I'm getting fleeced for 30% of my trip versus other guests enjoying the same services.

Choose your outfitters carefully or just come to Quebec where everything is charged in Canadian funds. We have good fishing too.

Did you have a great time on your trip? If so what other people pay should be of little consequence and diminish that enjoyment. Lodge owners (of which I am one) cut deals ALL the time for many different reasons.

First off is dynamic or variable pricing that many lodge owners employ as part of their business model. Just like the airlines, or hotels the further out you book the better price you get. It is also based on occupancy load. Once load hits a certain percentage rates go up. The closer we get to an open week potentially the price drops.

We need to keep buts in beds. That simple. That could mean giving great deals to people on the fence, or families, or people down on their luck. Or going the other way with up-charges for people that demand private bedrooms or other items. Its a business.

Do you sit down in your airplane seat and ask the guy next to you how much they paid? And if they paid a lot less get off the plane and not travel? Of course not. Why would you do the same at a lodge. You were having a great time at that lodge until you found out you paid more than another customer?

Business 101.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Keeper

Default Not so

What we're talking about here is different pricing being applied specifically for the same services at the same booking time for two different GROUPS OF PEOPLE.

As a Canadian I can enjoy a 30% discount for the same trip, booked on the same day. We're not talking about last minute deals or seasonal discounts here.

A lodge owner who offers a break to someone they know is suffering a financial hardship or to a friend of a friend is a nice guy and not at all relevant here.

This is discrimination pure and simple.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I just called a random lodge on Lac Seul whose website advertises in USD. Explained that I'm from Quebec and wondering if I'd have to get my money exchanged to pay for a trip there.

The answer totally shocked me...He said that for his Canadian clients (of which he gets very few) he charges the same rate in Canadian that you guys pay in US..."For my fellow countrymen".

As an American I'd never be able to enjoy my vacation knowing I'm getting fleeced for 30% of my trip versus other guests enjoying the same services.

Choose your outfitters carefully or just come to Quebec where everything is charged in Canadian funds. We have good fishing too.

First off... I think it is strange that you would do that. Basically called an "unnamed" resort... with no interest in going, in order to try to see if you can get 30% off?

Secondly, as a resort owner, I give discounts for lots of reasons. I usually give a large discount for people who are from my home town. I also like to give repeat guests a bit of a break. This one really might upset some... I've been known to completely donate trips to organizations that I like. Especially organizations that promote fishing with children.

My point in even responding to this is that comparing a resort to a gas station is silly. It doesn't work that way. Each group comes with different circumstances. Each person costs me a different amount of money when they are there. Filling up a gas tank is exactly the same... every time. They can set their margins and just enjoy it.

As far as you promoting Quebec goes... that is perfectly fine. I'm sure Quebec has many wonderful lakes and fisheries. I don't care for the law that says you can't continue to practice catch and release once you have your limit though. (just my opinion). ..... fuel/fire... go

Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
What we're talking about here is different pricing being applied specifically for the same services at the same booking time for two different GROUPS OF PEOPLE.

As a Canadian I can enjoy a 30% discount for the same trip, booked on the same day. We're not talking about last minute deals or seasonal discounts here.

A lodge owner who offers a break to someone they know is suffering a financial hardship or to a friend of a friend is a nice guy and not at all relevant here.

This is discrimination pure and simple.

He could simply be trying to build his Canadian business. A guest has a good time, got a discount, tells others about the resort... ideally it can snowball.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

I don't know Canadian discrimination laws. In the US variable pricing is fine as long as it is not based on a "protected category" such as race, religion, etc.

So if you want to lower your prices because you have a lot of vacant space to fill, that;s fine. Or to raise prices because there is a lot of demand, that too is fine. Of course, you should have and keep documentation showing what you did and why you did it.

But if you charge a higher rate to Canadians than Americans because of their citizenship or because you want to help your fellow countryman you likely will have violated a number of local, state, and federal anti-discrimination laws.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
First off... I think it is strange that you would do that. Basically called an "unnamed" resort... with no interest in going, in order to try to see if you can get 30% off?
I called not really to see if I could get 30% off...I was wondering what the general practise was if I'm Canadian. I wanted to know if I had to pay in US cash, if not whether the exchange rate would be applied based on the day of reservation, calculated on the day of arrival etc. I was not expecting to hear that I would only have to pay at par. I chose not to name the resort that I called because I'm not going to call all of them and didn't want to assume that this was the only guy doing this and unfairly single anyone out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
Secondly, as a resort owner, I give discounts for lots of reasons. I usually give a large discount for people who are from my home town. I also like to give repeat guests a bit of a break. This one really might upset some... I've been known to completely donate trips to organizations that I like. Especially organizations that promote fishing with children.

My point in even responding to this is that comparing a resort to a gas station is silly. It doesn't work that way. Each group comes with different circumstances. Each person costs me a different amount of money when they are there. Filling up a gas tank is exactly the same... every time. They can set their margins and just enjoy it.

As far as you promoting Quebec goes... that is perfectly fine. I'm sure Quebec has many wonderful lakes and fisheries. I don't care for the law that says you can't continue to practice catch and release once you have your limit though. (just my opinion). ..... fuel/fire... go
Again, there are a myriad justifiable reasons to offer discounts or free trips to your camp and I have no issues with any of the ones you listed. I'd surely offer discounts to returning customers that were pleasant and treated/tipped my staff well also. But on what basis can you support the notion that American guests across the board will cost you more than Canadian guests?

It's when you have a scenario that x group pays x and y group pays y that brings out the SJW in me.

Should resort owners be allowed to charge more for certain races because they think they have more money? Less for others because they might have had less opportunity?

By the way, most zones in Quebec allow 8 walleye...so you can keep 7, keep fishing and still have more walleye than most zones in Ontario

I'll save you the trouble of pointing out that most of Quebec does have a dumb law that makes us keep skin on the whole fillet guaranteeing slimy tasting walleye...
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Keeper

Default One more thing

To have your website indicate "all prices in USD", and then not indicate that all prices are in USD unless you're Canadian (if that's policy) is more than a little dishonest/shady.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ontario's Human Rights Law

Part I Freedom from discrimination

The Code protects people from discrimination in specific situations. Under the Code, you have the right to be free from discrimination in five parts of society called social areas based on one or more grounds.
The five social areas are: employment, housing, services, unions and vocational associations and contracts.
Discrimination based on 17 different personal attributes called grounds is against the law under the Code. The grounds are: citizenship, race, place of origin, ethnic origin, colour, ancestry, disability, age, creed, sex/pregnancy, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing) and record of offences (in employment).

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code

I think a resort would be a "service" part of society and therefore subject to the law and that being an American would be covered under the "citizenship" and/or "place of origin" protected personal attributes in Ontario.

So, don't charge Americans more than Canadians.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW1 View Post
Part I Freedom from discrimination

The Code protects people from discrimination in specific situations. Under the Code, you have the right to be free from discrimination in five parts of society called social areas based on one or more grounds.
The five social areas are: employment, housing, services, unions and vocational associations and contracts.
Discrimination based on 17 different personal attributes called grounds is against the law under the Code. The grounds are: citizenship, race, place of origin, ethnic origin, colour, ancestry, disability, age, creed, sex/pregnancy, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing) and record of offences (in employment).

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code

I think a resort would be a "service" part of society and therefore subject to the law and that being an American would be covered under the "citizenship" and/or "place of origin" protected personal attributes in Ontario.

So, don't charge Americans more than Canadians.
That's a tough one. Not sure if rates or fees would fall under discrimination. I'm charged more by Ontario for my fishing license because I'm a US resident. Am I being discriminated against due to citizenship?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
That's a tough one. Not sure if rates or fees would fall under discrimination. I'm charged more by Ontario for my fishing license because I'm a US resident. Am I being discriminated against due to citizenship?
Hard to see how a license could be a service?