Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
echoMAP CHIRP 73cv - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Minnow

Default echoMAP CHIRP 73cv

My research has led to buy this based on the following criteria. The purpose of posting this is to see if I've ruled anything out that should still be in consideration. I'm replacing an older Humminbird Fishfinder and a Magellan GPS.

19' Lund with an I/O.
90% of my fishing is trolling.
Most of my time will be in "the slot" on Saginaw Bay, but I still make trips to Frankfort for salmon and plan to start exploring waters near Port Austin.

I'd like something known for decent performance on plane. Meaning, if I'm out searching a large body of water for fish, I'd like to be able to count on the finder to show them at speed.

I definitely want a chartplotter. It needs an NMEA0183 interface to my Simrad AP14 autopilot.
Also as a chartplotter, it needs speed and accuracy to keep the boat on course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure the sonar will be fine. Keep in mind with Garmin you are limited to their mapping only. Navionics, Lakemaster etc are not compatible. You might want to check the accuracy of their charting on the waters you fish. That said, I run a Garmin Echomap 70DV and a Lowrance 7Ti. I use one for GPS and one for sonar. In my case neither one covers all the water I fish, but one covers some and the other unit covers the other. So one lake I'll be using the Garmin for GPS, and another day the Lowrance. I have a Lund Alaskan and top speed is about 30MPH. I read bottom with both units.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Minnow

Yeah, I just came back to mention the mapping portion.

I'm on Saginaw Bay and had at some point concluded that all the units had that area mapped. Plus Garmin has Quickdraw, but I think others have a similar feature.

I can't remember why Lowrance ended up lower on the list at one point. That's the reason for starting the thread, I reckon. I do like that the elite7ti has touchscreen.

Last edited by TimT; 01-11-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

The Garmin Quickdraw is a great feature and very easy to use. I know the others have something similar, but I haven't used them. Personally I like the Garmin screen colors more than the Lowrance. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Slot Fish

There is some great deals right now on the 93sv chirp.. The GPS Store
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
There is some great deals right now on the 93sv chirp.. The GPS Store
You may get just as good a deal from board sponsors. You just have to ask. Ditto on the bargain pricing. There's nothing that the 73cv does that the 93sv can't do better. Plus comes with the GT/CV 52 xd and is PANOPTIX compatible. Plus has the 12 pin xd connector. More transducer options for later.

It's not often you see an opportunity like this. A unit available at closeout pricing that will also do the latest and greatest. A 9 inch screen. Best deal on the market right now.

Last edited by LWinches; 01-11-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Minnow

Holy jumpin'! That's a deal.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Wallhanger

Default echoMAP CHIRP 73cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
My research has led to buy this based on the following criteria. The purpose of posting this is to see if I've ruled anything out that should still be in consideration. I'm replacing an older Humminbird Fishfinder and a Magellan GPS.

19' Lund with an I/O.

90% of my fishing is trolling.

Most of my time will be in "the slot" on Saginaw Bay, but I still make trips to Frankfort for salmon and plan to start exploring waters near Port Austin.

I'd like something known for decent performance on plane. Meaning, if I'm out searching a large body of water for fish, I'd like to be able to count on the finder to show them at speed.

I definitely want a chartplotter. It needs an NMEA0183 interface to my Simrad AP14 autopilot.

Also as a chartplotter, it needs speed and accuracy to keep the boat on course.

I'm in the process of dumping my birds in favor of the garmin chirp units. I love them compared to my helix series. Mapping has been equal or better to the navonics I have been using on all Midwest lakes and river systems I have been on. I started w a 73dv and will have all 3 units switched over this spring.

And yes, that price on the 93sv is better than I paid for the first 73dv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 01-11-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
I'm in the process of dumping my birds in favor of the garmin chirp units. I love them compared to my helix series. Mapping has been equal or better to the navonics I have been using on all Midwest lakes and river systems I have been on. I started w a 73dv and will have all 3 units switched over this spring.

hey wally ,would you describe what in the garmin versus the helix that gets you to change ?

thanks
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post

hey wally ,would you describe what in the garmin versus the helix that gets you to change ?

thanks